Anyone had a mk2 fiesta?

mykez69

Looking to buy a mk2 fiesta, i go view it tomorrow.

It has a fuel blockage apparently, I'd like to get it running so I can drive it home, otherwise will get a low loader to collect.

what can I do or where should I start to look to resolve the blockage? I'm thinking taking the fuel filter off and see if fuel is bocked before or after the filter.

Not got much clue on this to be honest lol

hope everyone is cool, long time no see!!!!!

Yes my first car.....blow fuel line out from fuel pump back to the tank with an air line they have a small unchangeable filter in the tank metal tanks create swarf this eventualy floats off and cloggs this said filter had this multiple times in the past

• 1 month later...

Had a Mk2 Fiesta Ghia in red - fab car still miss it. Had 4 YES FOUR folders of service history when I got it - ran for a few years and sold on regrettably. Cant be long till these pick up in value.

If its been off the road and the petrol has left a black sticky substance in the tank try removing tank and cleaning with caustic soda & water mix - leave overnight and rinse / dry before refitting.

Also try removing fuel line to carb and see if the fuel pump is getting fuel to this stage - if not work backwards from engine to tank until the point where fuel is present is revealed and that where the blockage is. May be worth checking for a spark too just to be sure that the engine is firing.

Also when ever I take fuel tanks off I always treat and protect the bodywork that is revealed as this is a hard area to protect when the tank is in place. Get the Waxoyl out!

Hi,

I have owned three and two MK1's. All mine had a mechanical fuel pump driven off the cam shaft I came across a few things.

1) The plastic pawl on the pump had worn away causing it to pump no fuel. Fitted new pump.

2) The diaphragm in the fuel pump had perished. In the day you could get a repair kit. If not fit new fuel pump.

3) The float in the carb was stuck in the full position allowing no fuel into the carb.

I hope this is of some help.

Best Wishes

Paul

my mk2 xr2 was the classic white (despite myself thinking they looked awesome in black for some reason I always associate white with Xr2's)

I had a similar fueling issue which was intermittent and insanely annoying (was like pot luck wether anything would happen when you turned the key from one day to the next)

after wracking my brains for weeks nay MONTHES my dad who'd actually worked at the Ford Halewood plant back when farmers used dinosaur shite as manure said the some thing about the tank filter and quickly slid under the back of my fester and gave the tank a couple of swift whacks with his rubber mallet.

It never gave me issue again right uptil I sold it a year or so later.................. and my dad never let me forget it

Edited by shawdreamer

my mk2 xr2 was the classic white (despite myself thinking they looked awesome in black)

black is best :thumb:

aye Ive always had a fondness for black motors, infact Id have to say about 50% of motors Ive owned were black and thats a fair few, the ould xr2 in ford gloss black looked the balls polished up but I just for some reason cant shake the notion that if you had to have a xr2 it had to be white.

maybe it had something to do with the contrast between the white paint and red trim lines with black moulding, unlike the black the white absolutly screamed "I HAVE EXTRA BITS COS IM ARD!" :pancake: