Timing Belts

bs099

Right according to the books they recommend the timing belt to be replaced after 60,000 miles, give or take. Has anyone got this done at this stage or just left it go.....??

I phoned up Ford's and they charged the following.

Timing Belt Kit approx £97

Labour Charge £220

i thought WTF! noway am i paying that much.

I know it's a big job but how much did u guys pay if u've had one done?

the timing belt 'kit' includes all the tensioners as well. may be best to change those to if its never been done b4. i didnt change them on my mk5b and it ran ok but there was a lot of bearing noise from the tensioners because of the tension, re- tensioning etc. its quite simple to do the job urself, u need a camshaft locking tool which is quite cheap, or alternatively, use a peice of 5mm thick stainless steel. this locks the cams at TDC.

the crank is at TDC when the SECOND pair of notches on the crankshaft pulley lines up with a mark on the sump. n.b. getting the bolt undone is a c##t!

ive done a few of these and i found that taking out the water bottle and then cable tie the pas bottle out the way. undo do the water paump pulley while the auxiliary belt is still on, makes life easier. the cover are a piece of piddle.

if a still want to do it urself and get stuck, contact me.

altho im sure others know more about it than i do.

hope this helps with anything.