Putting XP on Vista Laptop

wwwd

The second partition in the hard drive, is your recovery! I wouldn't touch it, if something goes wrong with the laptop, you'll be buggered! Installing XP would mean new drivers for everything. Plus, some of the hardware probably isn't compatible with XP as the machine was built for Vista.

Find that hard to believe :innocent:

recovery things are a waste of time, XP sorts out most drivers, and windows update will do the rest!

I'd format it Mike and run XP, i hate vista!

If you currently have Vista installed and trying to install XP along side then you are going to run into problems with the boot options.

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_vista_a...ystep_guide.htm here is a guide that will walk you through it. The proper way to do it is to have XP and then Install vista.

Theres nothing stopping you from resizing your current partition and then createing a new one and leaving the backup partition alone.

Hardware isnt OS specific, its down to drivers and since XP is still very much the standard operating system I very much doubt you will run into not being able to find drivers...

dual booting vista and xp with vista installed first isnt that difficult, although I notice in the previous link that EasyBCD has been updated so that you don't even need the vista DVD, which is handy as if you have a restore partition you more than likely dont have the vista dvd anyway.

And it is quite possible that there is hardware which isnt compatible with XP, sony in particular are notorious for it.

dual booting vista and xp with vista installed first isnt that difficult, although I notice in the previous link that EasyBCD has been updated so that you don't even need the vista DVD, which is handy as if you have a restore partition you more than likely dont have the vista dvd anyway.

And it is quite possible that there is hardware which isnt compatible with XP, sony in particular are notorious for it.

I have a sony LM-2E, thats probably why a lot of my hardware isn't compatible with XP!

Just because drivers don’t appear on the Sony website doesn’t mean they don’t exist. Many manufactures use practically the same parts so it’s pretty much always possible to find drivers as long as you know the specific hardware you are looking for.

I have a sony LM-2E, thats probably why a lot of my hardware isn't compatible with XP!

And which particular piece of hardware are you after a driver for?

Edited by Gadge

Screw Vista, DL(:O) Windows XP with Service Pack 3.

Don't partition your hard drive because windows runs crap with partitions.

You get the choice to delete partitions when you boot of a Windows CD.

Download "CPUZ", Run it once you have finished installing Windows XP and it will tell you what Motherboard you have etc.

Google the motherboard Make, Model and the word drives you should have no probs!

Your better of having another pc in the house when you do this cause you will need an internet resource and XP might not recognize your hardware straight away.

Just because drivers don’t appear on the Sony website doesn’t mean they don’t exist. Many manufactures use practically the same parts so it’s pretty much always possible to find drivers as long as you know the specific hardware you are looking for.

My God, you're right. I just wish I had the intellect, good looks and sheer brilliance you have.

Why didn't I think to just look for the manufacturer?

Only on the Home user laptops but I'm sure most of it could be found quite easily. The business grade ones, IE anything thats will sit on docking station have an XP downgrade disc which will install XP, but also there is an EXE to run after the XP install that sorts out compatibility issues. Drivers can then be pulled off the net.

The second partition in the hard drive, is your recovery! I wouldn't touch it, if something goes wrong with the laptop, you'll be buggered! Installing XP would mean new drivers for everything. Plus, some of the hardware probably isn't compatible with XP as the machine was built for Vista.

Find that hard to believe :innocent:

This is the case with my 10 month old Advent..Onboard sound and graphics things do not have XP drivers available so i have to keep vista..and i hate it. With XP i'd be able to run programs that it currently cant run with the vista (cant even play online poker on this piece of Shite)