Ex army service men bein homeless

Andyb0127

Read an article in a paper couldn't believe it was about four ex army guys that are homeless one of them was an ex sniper taking out enemies who got discharged on the reason he was injured but he saved two of his mate first while injured what an act of shear bravery but my point is these guys put there lifes on the line for there country (some will say that's there job) but they have been living homeless for two years in shop door ways what saddens me is that there country won't fight for them to put a roof over there head this is how there country repays them it's disgusting

Read an article in a paper couldn't believe it was about four ex army guys that are homeless one of them was an ex sniper taking out enemies who got discharged on the reason he was injured but he saved two of his mate first while injured what an act of shear bravery but my point is these guys put there lifes on the line for there country (some will say that's there job) but they have been living homeless for two years in shop door ways what saddens me is that there country won't fight for them to put a roof over there head this is how there country repays them it's disgusting

And breathe.

That is a bit odd. If the MOD have done something thats left them in this situation, then that isn't so good, as they should be looked after.

However, everyone I know who is in the forces is pretty well paid and all own at least one house!

Yeh should be looked after,some of my mate are in the force and they live on the barracks but the army take rent out of there monthly pay but you still have a point bout them owning a house...

That is a bit odd. If the MOD have done something thats left them in this situation, then that isn't so good, as they should be looked after.

However, everyone I know who is in the forces is pretty well paid and all own at least one house!

Yeh should be looked after,some of my mate are in the force and they live on the barracks but the army take rent out of there monthly pay but you still have a point bout them owning a house...

The rent the army take out is absolutly nothing compared to what they get paid though isit? When I looked into the RAF it was something like £12 a week or month I THINK (don't quote me)? Then everything is free... cooked meals/water/heating etc? Doesn't sound too bad to me.

And breathe.

Comes up for air lol

The rent the army take out is absolutly nothing compared to what they get paid though isit? When I looked into the RAF it was something like £12 a week or month I THINK (don't quote me)? Then everything is free... cooked meals/water/heating etc? Doesn't sound too bad to me.

Yeh I understand what u mean,could be a case of paper not givin u full story who knows opinions will always vary mate will we ever know the full story why there home less..

What makes the forces exempt from homelessness then?

They pay a wage, help you with mortgages (asuming you use your head and spend some money in this area).

The forces cant be expected to bail out a person that doesnt secure their future for after leaving the army etc taking into account the help that is offered while signed up.

Example 1.

Uses army accomodation at very reduced rates & saves large amounts up to secure a future, after time gets a mortgage (helped by the forces in many ways). Leaves forces after serving their time, lives happily ever after.

Example 2.

Lives in barracks, has great times on leave, girls, partys, holidays the whole deal, fast car/bike to play with, stays in army diggs until leaving with very little savings.

Example 3.

Leaves the army serving minimum time, spends what little cash left, doesnt look into housing posibilitys/benefits, ends up homeless.

Theres also the possibility some have problems & dont realise whats entitled or simply end up drunks (the forces are far from exempt from this either)

So the story in said rag could be correct but the reasons not given for ending up in a situation.

My dad served 20yrs in the Army. When he left he was told he was not entitled to a council house and was not entitled to any benifits til 6 months later. We had to stay at a relatives house for a good few months til his payout was sorted. He went to back to college at 45, then became a manager a year later, and then owning his own college another year later.

Was a bit harsh not being entitled to the house or benifits, but things worked out better in the long run.

My dad served 20yrs in the Army. When he left he was told he was not entitled to a council house and was not entitled to any benifits til 6 months later. We had to stay at a relatives house for a good few months til his payout was sorted. He went to back to college at 45, then became a manager a year later, and then owning his own college another year later.

Was a bit harsh not being entitled to the house or benifits, but things worked out better in the long run.

Did he not think of the future when he was earning a good living with low cost overheads for 20 years?

Did he leave the army pennyless?

Where did you all live while in the forces?

I dont think anybody that quits a job is entitled to state benefits for 6 months.

Did he not think of the future when he was earning a good living with low cost overheads for 20 years?

Did he leave the army pennyless?

Where did you all live while in the forces?

Some people seriously don't have a clue. The pay wasn't that good. We certainly didn't live a life of luxury, far from tbh. I don't know what it's like now so can't comment. He was in the army mid 70s to 90s. My dad's not the sort to leave without saving to buy a house. My parents intentions were to stay somewhere temp til they found somewhere they wanted to stay.

We had a house on the army quarters, rent was cheap, but no where as cheap as stayin in the barracks. Still had gas, electric & usual bills to pay.

I dont think anybody that quits a job is entitled to state benefits for 6 months.

He didn't quit, he was given an honourable discharge. If he quit he would've had to buy himself out. I don't think soldiers should be any different to civies, but personally it just seems wrong.

Just my opinion.

Edited by zetec2k6