Project FakeCos.

muz

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

some good work gone into my old shell, i have to take my hat off to you, but a few things are bugging me.

you've continuously slated the work done on the car by myself, when, if you'd bothered to read through the original build thread (link on first page) you'd already know that by my own admission, the car was done with no previous bodywork experience. i was on a tight budget and even though in hindsight i was blindly stumbling through the build, it received very positive comments at the one show it did go to.

i can address a few of your problems that i can be arsed to recall below

sideskirts were NOT stuck on with bathroom sealant, i used silkaflex as advised on many bodykit fitting guides that i read

exhaust hole- having spent a siht load of money on hiring a flatbed to take the car to powerflow i was told on arrival that there was a limited choice of tailpipes. i went for only oval pipe they had but it mean't make the hole bigger in the bumper

there is expanding foam in the rear arches

the petrol cap never leaked in the time i had the car on the road

rivets on the front wings, so fcuking what

thats all i can remember, i'm not trawling through the thread again, but you've got a bloody good shell, with a decent kit for Fcuk all money. if you wanted a show winning paintjob and a professionally fitted kit, your budget show have been at least 20 times what you paid for the shell

its the easiest thing in the world to pick faults in someone elses work. i'll look forward to having a nose round it at a show next year

some good work gone into my old shell, i have to take my hat off to you, but a few things are bugging me.

you've continuously slated the work done on the car by myself, when, if you'd bothered to read through the original build thread (link on first page) you'd already know that by my own admission, the car was done with no previous bodywork experience. i was on a tight budget and even though in hindsight i was blindly stumbling through the build, it received very positive comments at the one show it did go to.

sideskirts were NOT stuck on with bathroom sealant, i used silkaflex as advised on many bodykit fitting guides that i read

exhaust hole- having spent a siht load of money on hiring a flatbed to take the car to powerflow i was told on arrival that there was a limited choice of tailpipes. i went for only oval pipe they had but it mean't make the hole bigger in the bumper

thats all i can remember, i'm not trawling through the thread again, but you've got a bloody good shell, with a decent kit for Fcuk all money. if you wanted a show winning paintjob and a professionally fitted kit, your budget show have been at least 20 times what you paid for the shell

its the easiest thing in the world to pick faults in someone elses work. i'll look forward to having a nose round it at a show next year

Dubs Does Raise A Very Good Point To Be Fair, And Even When Tez Had The Car, This Was The First Time I Saw It In The Flesh, And I Think The Shell Is Pretty Decent And Considering All The Effort He Went Through To Convert It From A 6 To A 5, You Got To Admire The Work Done Previously

For someone who had no previous body work experience I actually think you did a very good job like putting the proper light panels in etc, just in some of the areas I just think, in my opinion, a little more care could have been taken. Like rivets instead of random self tapping screws with different sized heads in visible places on the car, the back windows removed when the 1/4 panels were fitted so the join line could be smoothed etc. When someone spends maybe 10-15mins looking at a car and chatting at a show, they don't look too closely. I'm not saying the car was a shed, because it wasn't. If it was, I wouldn't be spending money having it painted at a bodyshop. However, when you strip a car right down, you get to see all the little niggles a car has and see just how it's been put together. Everything I have criticized is in pictures for people to make their own judgement. As you said, you had no training and stumbled through it, but you did a better job than most people would of, just not a job, without being big headed, was at a standard, I personally, was happy with.

The side skirt join I assumed was silicon as it was soft and paint wouldn't stick to it and when I drilled the 20mm diameter holes in the rear 1/4 I couldn't see any foam. Just fibreglass panel. Hence why I put a tin in each side. If it was full of foam, I wouldn't need to bother, would I?

The filler area in not saying did leak, just I wasn't happy with the fit and finish. I can see why you did it that way because it took many, many to get that full flap to fit properly, but then again, I have had the time to do it. The inside of the flap I still haven't finished, but instead of leaving it as it is, it will be smoothed into the filler neck, as every time I filled the car with fuel I would see it and it would irritate me.

I'll admit, reading back, my last post about the car on Wednesday last week may have been a little harsh saying everything was bodged. I was very pissed off as I had also been working on my girlfriends freshly bought clio which seems to be held together with zip ties and sold with no oil in and had lost faith in humankind at the time.

Feel free to come and take a look around it and as I have no formal bodyshop training myself and am self taught and am also working on a budget. Hence doing most of the prep work myself before its being painted. I would take on any criticisms on how to improve my work.

Anyway, the car went off for paint today. We didn't get there till 1 so only really had half a day on it, but made a good start.

The one panel needed slightly more work to make sure it's nice and flat. Really don't want to have ripply panels.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/murray_eversham/FakeCos/IMG_1874.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/murray_eversham/FakeCos/IMG_1876.jpg

Conor finishing the rear bumper and me finishing the bonnet

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/murray_eversham/FakeCos/IMG_1875.jpg

Bonnet and bumpers in high build and guide

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/murray_eversham/FakeCos/IMG_1877.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/murray_eversham/FakeCos/IMG_1878.jpg

and that's all we got round to today. The car is currently all masked up in the booth ready for paint first thing in the morning.

More to come tomorrow.

For someone who had no previous body work experience I actually think you did a very good job like putting the proper light panels in etc, just in some of the areas I just think, in my opinion, a little more care could have been taken. Like rivets instead of random self tapping screws with different sized heads in visible places on the car, the back windows removed when the 1/4 panels were fitted so the join line could be smoothed etc. When someone spends maybe 10-15mins looking at a car and chatting at a show, they don't look too closely. I'm not saying the car was a shed, because it wasn't. If it was, I wouldn't be spending money having it painted at a bodyshop. However, when you strip a car right down, you get to see all the little niggles a car has and see just how it's been put together. Everything I have criticized is in pictures for people to make their own judgement. As you said, you had no training and stumbled through it, but you did a better job than most people would of, just not a job, without being big headed, was at a standard, I personally, was happy with.

The side skirt join I assumed was silicon as it was soft and paint wouldn't stick to it and when I drilled the 20mm diameter holes in the rear 1/4 I couldn't see any foam. Just fibreglass panel. Hence why I put a tin in each side. If it was full of foam, I wouldn't need to bother, would I?

The filler area in not saying did leak, just I wasn't happy with the fit and finish. I can see why you did it that way because it took many, many to get that full flap to fit properly, but then again, I have had the time to do it. The inside of the flap I still haven't finished, but instead of leaving it as it is, it will be smoothed into the filler neck, as every time I filled the car with fuel I would see it and it would irritate me.

I'll admit, reading back, my last post about the car on Wednesday last week may have been a little harsh saying everything was bodged. I was very pissed off as I had also been working on my girlfriends freshly bought clio which seems to be held together with zip ties and sold with no oil in and had lost faith in humankind at the time.

Feel free to come and take a look around it and as I have no formal bodyshop training myself and am self taught and am also working on a budget. Hence doing most of the prep work myself before its being painted. I would take on any criticisms on how to improve my work.

all fair points i have to say. i've been following the build on here and on pf and overall your critism has been fair, i can't really deny that. it was your last update that hit a nerve i and was a little unfair towards myself imo.

I would have addressed most of the things at some point (the engine bay was going to be repainted so i would have got rid of the self tappers) but it ended up at a garage being finished off, which took over 3 months iirc, by the time it was done i couldn't even look at the car without being pissed off with it so i moved it on without really finishing it off properly.

best of luck with the rest of the build

Few more of today. Got the shell in primer first thing this morning.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/murray_eversham/FakeCos/IMG_1880.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/murray_eversham/FakeCos/IMG_1883.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/murray_eversham/FakeCos/IMG_1884.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/murray_eversham/FakeCos/IMG_1885.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/murray_eversham/FakeCos/IMG_1886.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/murray_eversham/FakeCos/IMG_1888.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/murray_eversham/FakeCos/IMG_1887.jpg

The while that was hardening off me and Conor set to work on blocking off the high build and guide on the bumpers and bonnet. Starting with an initial 320 dry then finishing with an 800 wet.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/murray_eversham/FakeCos/IMG_1889.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/murray_eversham/FakeCos/IMG_1890.jpg

Tomorrow we have to block off the shell in the morning and we'll have it in paint bar the doors and tailgate which will be in primer tomorrow then painted Friday. Cant wait.