Carbon dipping

duffa

that looks like one of those poly vinyl skin jobs?

the yanks have been using it for camo patterns on their equipment for a few years now.

basically its a ultra thin skin of patterned vinyl film floated freely on top of a a vat of solution that I assume contains some form of thinners to make the film tacky, the item to be coated is then lowered down through the film into the vat and then pulled back out with the film now adhered to the surface.

the results are pretty cool in terms of the camo patterns, doesnt seem like to big a step to use it for CF patterns on other objects, just never occurred to me personally.

that looks like one of those poly vinyl skin jobs?

the yanks have been using it for camo patterns on their equipment for a few years now.

basically its a ultra thin skin of patterned vinyl film floated freely on top of a a vat of solution that I assume contains some form of thinners to make the film tacky, the item to be coated is then lowered down through the film into the vat and then pulled back out with the film now adhered to the surface.

the results are pretty cool in terms of the camo patterns, doesnt seem like to big a step to use it for CF patterns on other objects, just never occurred to me personally.

Yes I have had this done on my dash.

you put the film on water, for abit then spray an activator spray and then dip.

Look at my thread

http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p664/dalelc16/20130816_181607_zps60856ab4.jpg

Edited by dalelc16

from what I can make there thats all good if your after the full benefits of carbonfibre (eg strength, durability and reduced weight) but its a bit of a chore if all you want is the look which is pretty decently replicated by some of the more higher quality wraps, vinyl and dip methods.

I wasnt aware anyone was supplying home diy carbon kits of that promised quality already tbh, I always assumed the process required to create anything that was both functional and cosmetically pleasing with C/F would be too specialized to successfully recreate at home.

That said, if I was building a specifically designed for track use motor Id certianly consider carbon fibre kits like that to build instrument cluster panels and the various other necessary bits.

There should be a law.... If you want something that looks like Carbon Fibre, buy Carbon Fibre.

Carbon Mods

yeah ..nice kits ... but wouldnt really fancy making some wheels with those kits ... suppose its all about looks with dipping