White Van 1

F1ACK

Pics from this mornings shunt, white van man sat too close, I stopped for a set of traffic lights, he didn't.

Luckily he was insured, hire car has just arrived 05 plate astra with 11 miles on the clock (lets see how high I can get that before they get it back), drove it home with the bumper hanging off. The bumper isn't crack so should be repairable without too much work. The boot lid is bent and the part behind the bumper has been pushed back about 1cm (this is what may cause a write off), the passenger side exhaust has been bent down and there is a lot of paint missing. Can't get the boot open either.

crash1.jpg

crash2.jpg

crash3.jpg

The insurance company will have to decide if they are going to fix it, if they do write it off, I will buy it back from them and either repair it with parts from the old one (not sure how you bend it back though) or more likely strip it and buy another one (not green this time).

ok 1) since it's not your insurance they can't really write it off and should have to pay for any damages (what if he'd hit a ferrari)

2)it shouldn't matter if he's declared mods or not because again it's not your insurance

basically the best thing to do would be to ask for a cash settlement and get it repaired cheaply yourself, might even make some money ;)

Get the rear bumper off and boot carpet out!

That's the important stuff.

Those ABS bumpers crumple in the middle, then bend out again, so of course it looks fine at the moment.

Saw some cars at auction (salvage) like that - looked doable, until you saw the boot floor :eek:

Best of luck mate X( :thumb:

I thought they'd only repair what was declared on your insurance? Could be wrong though

yeah, if not insured the company normaly only replace with standard parts.

anything else he should be able to claim as an uninsured loss. which the other insurance company will pay for as he has damaged your property. your excess and any days off work as a result of injury are also uninsured losses.

Quick update, the inspector came out today, looked it over, said as it was an F reg it wasn't worth much, JESUS!!! :nutter: :rolleyes:

I set him straight that it was actually a 96 P reg, and its been taken to a garage for a more detailed look, the bar at the back is completely crumped (designed to crumple and absorb impact), to me the boot floor looks straight, but the chap there wasn't so sure. Still can't get the boot open. He said it will be possible to save the bumper. They are in the process of deciding whether to write it off, I've said I want £1800, they want to give me £800. So until an agreement is reached I will continue to drive around in the rental Astra I was given costing them £30 a day, isn't bad apart from it being a diesil turbo, but is brand new. Was dropped of with 11 miles on the clock, can't complain with that.

Hopefully they will agree to fix it but after talking to the chap in the garage it doesn't sound good. He said they will have to take the skirts off, put it on a jig to pull the back out, straighten the boot lid, strip and respray the bumper.

Ohh and all mods are declaired, so doesn't matter either way.

ok 1) since it's not your insurance they can't really write it off and should have to pay for any damages (what if he'd hit a ferrari)

2)it shouldn't matter if he's declared mods or not because again it's not your insurance

They still make checks with your insurance to make sure everything is in order and see how much they've valued the car at ETC....