Is it worth Tuning....

Graeme

Throttle bodies on a 1.8, look at Ross'.......

£3k may just buy you his spec in parts alone, not including fitting or mapping.

Headwork needed would include the usual port, polish, 3 angle valve seats, perhaps bigger valves if you go wilder.

Set of cams would work well, you need decent openings to get power out of an NA motor...... and 'bodies work best at high revs, so it'd be silly to have cams which run out of steam at 6k! :O :)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Either TB's with little headwork, or Trust Electrical manifoldS and more headwork :thumb:

The only way to get decent power out of the zetec is to replace the standard inlet.

Or, 3k could buy you a cheaper, 200bhp turbo conversion.

I still think you're being conservative on those prices... :)

They didn't allow for any contingency LOL :cheers:

Btw - to clear up this remark "The only way to get decent power out of the zetec is to replace the standard inlet."

That applies if you stick with natural aspiration. Goes out the window when forced air comes along! :)

so what sort of power you lookin at for all that, cause i would want quite a bit for 3k  :thumb:

with no bottom end work (another wad of cash!!!), about 160-170bhp :thumb:

thats quite respectable for 3k imo, and with the bottem end work, how much more cash is that then, and again the power output for that :thumb:

so what sort of power you lookin at for all that, cause i would want quite a bit for 3k  :thumb:

with no bottom end work (another wad of cash!!!), about 160-170bhp :thumb:

thats quite respectable for 3k imo, and with the bottem end work, how much more cash is that then, and again the power output for that :thumb:

stick a 2.0 bottom end in, 200bhp should be had on 45mm bodies. But to do this is best to do it all at once, or it'll cost even more. Ask Ross :thumb:

8o fcuk that 3k. just on modding and old engine. have one built for that kinda money from new, specialized enginering will build a 2ltr zetec from scratch for that kinda money balanced cranks, race cams, stage 3 head gas flowed, etc etc. from 160 up to 200bhp and no turbo lagg and still room for improvement 200bhp to 250bhp i think is just right for a fwd motor and more and your gonna lose too much traction. look at it this way u could have a 350bhp fwd scort turbo and a 200bhp tuned scort on a track. think about it. the 350 scort will be faster but on a bend the 200 scort will be better on take. off as the 350 scort has far too much power on the front wheels no good for fast pull off's on bends. good in a stright lines but not round bends, and i recon drivabilty will be hard too, drive shafts must get chewed to fcuk :eek:

I thought 190-200bhp was attainable on a standard top end, with skimmed pistons and a low boosting t25

Cost estimated c.£3k :)

no point in skimming standard, cast Zetec pistons as they are really thin anyway, either forgies or de-comp plate would be better