Upgrading RAM on Laptop

wwwd

this site will tell you what ram you have .. and what you can upgrade to >> click

I'm not saying they are wrong, the type they give is correct, but all sites I try with my laptop are always optomistic about how many slots I have when in reality I only have 1 slot, so check how many slots you have before you go out and buy 2/3 sticks (like I did because i believed the site)

That link says I have 2, when I only have 1.

you only have 1 slot, or you only have 1 easily visible slot?

1 (hardly) easily visable slot but I think there is only 1 on my laptop, haven't got the instruction manual so can't check sorry, but I was under the impression there was no way of upgrading the extra (hidden) slots in a laptop as that would mean taking the laptop apart?

It would void the warranty, but it can usually be done - I've never heard of laptop memory being fixed to the mobo before?

Taking laptops apart is a bit more intricate that desktops, but isnt too hard.

But I would be surprised if there was only one slot, is the other one hidden beneath it? It could just be elsewhere on the board, with that one being an 'upgrade' slot.

Erm, mike, have you read this?

The Packard Bell Easynote E2315 guide to upgrading the memory?

clicky

Well if my laptop does infact have 2 slots like the website it telling me, then that extra slot is empty because i've upgraded the only slot I can see to a 2gb and that site tells me:

Slot 1: 2GB

Slot 2: empty

interesting, what laptop is it? I might have a look around for some specs

go to www.crucial.com/uk run the scanner and buy what they tell you :)

Thats the one I often use tbh. :thumb:

Liam you say one viseable slot but you do realise laptop memory usually lays flat, on top of each other, so a second slot or indeed memory chip isnt viseable via the opening?

wierd you say that pete, because on 3 of my laptops (sony vaio, dell and acer) the ram lies side by side as apposed to stacked?

Hmmm! maybe it varies then as I havnt seen those, my 3 here (Acer/Hp/Hp) stack so the actual connectors are one above the other. Just could be worth checking in Liams case though as I feel only one accessible slot is unusual.

Edited by PeeWee