NES PC

sidrick

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fitted the drive to the modded box lid. You were a fool to squirm at the lolly sticks eetaylog, they are fcuking genius. I have used them with uber-glue to suspend the multi-dvd drive. Looks fantastic rather than the duct tape solution most others have went for. Solid as a rock too.

haha, i imagined you were gonna use pillars, but whatever works for you sid!

the optical drive looks like it works a treat, as a cosmetic touch, have you thought about putting a white faceplate on the draw instead of the stock black one? how did you manage to fit all those looms in that case, did you have to cut them down a bit?

Fitted the drive to the modded box lid. You were a fool to squirm at the lolly sticks eetaylog, they are fcuking genius. I have used them with uber-glue to suspend the multi-dvd drive. Looks fantastic rather than the duct tape solution most others have went for. Solid as a rock too.

haha, i imagined you were gonna use pillars, but whatever works for you sid!

the optical drive looks like it works a treat, as a cosmetic touch, have you thought about putting a white faceplate on the draw instead of the stock black one? how did you manage to fit all those looms in that case, did you have to cut them down a bit?

Well the looms are not in the case on the pictures of the fitted drive. Also the looms are from a desktop PSU, not the micro one I'll be using. Everything fits in fine, the only thing I've cut was one connector off the IDE cable since I only needed one of the two, but that was more for neatness than necessity.

Those pillars look great for the job, but getting the ideal height would have been a pain, I reckon. With the sticks you get to adjust by about 2-3mm at a time.

I hadn't thought about a white faceplate, but if you could point me in the right direction I think I'll be tempted :D

Edited by sidrick

May sound odd, but I would give it a try if it were me:

Cut the top off a cartidge and attatch (glue?) it to the front bezel of the CD drive? obviously cutting a hole for the button? :)

I looked into doing that, but the size difference would make it look stupid and the button was a stumbling block.

I'm not fussed about leaving the dvd drive as it is now.

makem in bundle and make a mint on Egay....i'd have one (at cost price plus £20/30 :-D)

I'm looking at about £250 in parts (not including the NES itself), plus a good few hours of my time, which I'd probably want more than £20 for, so say £300 all in or nearer £350 including a NES. I doubt many folk would be interested in what is essentially a low spec PC for that price.

It then opens up pottential shit storms should a part fail a few weeks/months down the line.

I hadn't thought about a white faceplate, but if you could point me in the right direction I think I'll be tempted :D

what make is your drive?

Hitachi or Panasonic. I can't remember and i'm at work. I'll confirm later.

I could just take this one off and spray it grey, like a NES cart.

No idea why I said that considering I've superglued the drive to the case now so cant see any labels. Quite sure it was a Panasonic since the other one I have is a Hitachi.

Trial fitted tonight and there's been a couple of developments:

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p89/adolftitler/nespc2312092002.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p89/adolftitler/nespc2312092001.jpg

You may notice a few things:

1 - The motherboard connections are no longer facing the back - The power connector and motherboard transistors fouled the case at the front(cart slot). I don't want to cut any more of the case otherwise it will become visible from the outside. I had to remove a few lolly sticks and drop the board to allow it to fit as it is!

2 - And I like this one..... There's a wireless network card (I dont think many/any of the current NES PC's have wireless built inside the case).

3 - I've cut away the internals of the reset switch, which was dead anyway, to make space for the motherboard. From the outside the switch looks and presses as normal

4 - It's on my bed now.

I have ordered a wireless keyboard and mouse set and intend to put the receiver inside the NES in the space on the left (as you look at it).