Best SpeedCamera Detector Device?

Saunders

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do. They're crafty, well few round here are.

There's one place, it goes from a national to a 40 and the sign is hidden in the tree's, then about 400 yards up theres a speed camera!

I think they're useful if I miss the speedchange(rare I know) but for instance the above example. I can't afford any points, insurance is high enough as it is. And if I were unlucky to be caught out, and then for example my tyre was deemed below the legal limit, that's my license gone.

Speed cameras are money making machines and completely pointless.

They did an independent review on the number of accidents in relation to roads before and after speed cameras and it was found that accidents had actually increased (very slightly) since the introduction of speed cameras.

I use a TomTom to get around and the speed camera alerts on them haven't let me down. And I bought my TomTom about 4 years ago and it's still awesome.

What I do, and I recomend this..

I have a Nokia 5800, with Garmin mobile software on, I wedge the phone between the front of the dash and the glass of the screen and it might as well be a sat nav, on the screen it shows speed obviously along with the speed limit for that section of road constantly displayed,and it bongs when you approach any and all speed camera zones (even the ones that are only monitored by blokes with guns occasionally)

what did it cost me....NOWT (well the phone is on a £20 a month tariff but thats it)

Speed cameras are not for road safety, they're a stealth tax. However they certainly reduce the number of people doing 100+ on empty motorways (near the camera only) but doing 100+ on empty motorways has probably not spawned too many accidents

I have a Nokia 5800, with Garmin mobile software on, I wedge the phone between the front of the dash and the glass of the screen and it might as well be a sat nav, on the screen it shows speed obviously along with the speed limit for that section of road constantly displayed,and it bongs when you approach any and all speed camera zones (even the ones that are only monitored by blokes with guns occasionally)

what did it cost me....NOWT (well the phone is on a £20 a month tariff but thats it)

Speed cameras are not for road safety, they're a stealth tax. However they certainly reduce the number of people doing 100+ on empty motorways (near the camera only) but doing 100+ on empty motorways has probably not spawned too many accidents

i use garmin xt also. works a treat

i use garmin xt also. works a treat

I have the Nokia 5800 also, Garmin mobile software: is this a free download?

Bear in mind none of these are 'detectors' anymore as they're illegal. It's just a GPS unit that beeps when you're near a known spot for having a camera (either fixed or mobile). They're not gauranteed.

Even if you did have a detector (sure you can buy them second hand!), if you get busted by a laser gun (eg ProLaser III) you're already nicked by the time your unit has beeped. Waste of time really.

Bear in mind none of these are 'detectors' anymore as they're illegal. It's just a GPS unit that beeps when you're near a known spot for having a camera (either fixed or mobile). They're not gauranteed.

Even if you did have a detector (sure you can buy them second hand!), if you get busted by a laser gun (eg ProLaser III) you're already nicked by the time your unit has beeped. Waste of time really.

Indeed, if it beeps it means the speed gun has sent the pulse out to your car and will have received the return stating the speed you were doing as it beeps, so your already screwed.

as for Garmin Mobile XT...No its not a free download. but I didnt pay for it personally

Indeed, if it beeps it means the speed gun has sent the pulse out to your car and will have received the return stating the speed you were doing as it beeps, so your already screwed.

as for Garmin Mobile XT...No its not a free download. but I didnt pay for it personally

+1

ill send you it over if i can find it