Phone Advice

sortedford

No answer needed from Stoo,

I cant decide between the Nokia N900, and the HTC Desire (The N97 Mini was in the running but seems far inferior to the other two units).

The Nokia is a slightly more expensive upgrade (another £80) but i like the slide out keybord and the massive internal storage. Plus it can play a wider range of video files - although this maybe isn't that important?

The HTC has the larger screen and there may be more free content available for the operating system as its shared accross a number of phones - i'm Not sure the Nokia one is?

Satnav comes on both phones, but is the google maps navigation free to use? I have read about it using data transfer and not just working from GPS data and displaying from maps allready on the phone in an offline mode?

My N900 is great about 50% of the time. For the other 50 I want to throw it at something.

- It doesn't have turn-by-turn Sat Nav (yet). It does have Ovi Maps, but no voice instructions.

- It doesn't support vertical SMS. So no texting whilst holding your chocolate bar.

- No vertical home screens or menus - you pretty much always have to hold it horizontally.

- No MMS. Apart from a third party app, which is a bit crap tbh.

- Resistive touch screen doesn't support multitouch, and isn't very accurate without the stylus.

- The facebook widget sucks balls.

- 3G browsing is nowhere near as quick as my iPhone was, and refuses to recognise lite versions of sites.

- Hates public wifis, like BT Openzones (which I am meant to get free with my contract :()

Everything else is awesome. The screen is very pretty, and I love the physical keyboard. Some of the apps are cool too, although there aren't many good ones. Maemo is good, but doesn't have rubbish on Android.

My opinion - buy the Desire.

Edited by andaba

Google Maps on the HTC is Free to use Ian, BUT..... It loads the map as your driving along from your internet, which means, no service no map.... also if you are roaming, it will cost you more.

*assuming if you got this phone you had an unlimited internet usage on it? otherwise you will be paying over the odds for google maps nav.

Also, the google maps nav on my HTC, has no voice directions so its basically you have to keep looking at the phone alot whilst driving so is not really good.

(PM me as I have something better if you do go for the HTC ;) )

Thanks for the opinions so far, HTC is looking slightly better now then.

Told you so.

Only thing I like more about the Nokia is that it has an official Skype App, there's not one for Android yet.

They discontinued that App for Windows Mobile. :( but they are making one for Android.

Thanks for the opinions so far, HTC is looking slightly better now then, although i dont know what data allowance ill have (with Vodafone)

I am on Vodafone Ian, I pay £35 a month for 600 Minutes, Unlimited text & Unlimited browsing, also came with Vodafone passport. :thumb: