Whats the Law on Phone MP3 Players

Naylor2006

Was watching Po-lice Camera Action last night and they did a big section on texting while driving and stuff. I've got spotify on my Nokia 5800 which if you didnt already know is a fully touch screen phone.

Well lets take the iphone for example, you've got it connected to your headunit via the aux in 3.5milly jack so essentially when changing tracks or looking for an album you're kinda texting. So getting caught doing this will result in the 3 points and fine, one would imagine.

But what about changing CD, getting your CD wallet our and looking for the disc and changing it then finding your track? I tend to adjust my sub level on different tracks depending on the bass level of the recording which means I have to hit the Audio button then up down the sub level using the up down buttons. I admit this doesnt take the same sort of distraction as looking for a track on an iphone but is this 3 points and a fine?

Just wondering what peoples thoughts were?

Driving without due care and attention.

You can get pulled for eating an Apple at the wheel.

Officers discression.

You shouldnt be reaching for or changing CD's full stop.

Nor should you be altering sat nav whilst driving.

about time they made smoking at the wheel against the law too .. someone almost took me out last night looked like they dropped their fag .....but thats another can of worms to be opened !!

Driving without due care and attention.

You can get pulled for eating an Apple at the wheel.

Officers discression.

You shouldnt be reaching for or changing CD's full stop.

Nor should you be altering sat nav whilst driving.

about time they made smoking at the wheel against the law too .. someone almost took me out last night looked like they dropped their fag .....but thats another can of worms to be opened !!

Again at the officers discression they can indeed pull you for smoking at the wheel if your deemed to not be in control of your car, they brought that in a while ago.

Any circumstance that results in both or either of your hands being off the steering wheel for an extended amount of time can be veiwed by the police as "dangerous driving" and you can be subject to the punishments attached to that catagory.

thats how they catagorize using your phone and other non-vehicle essential objects while your supposed to be in control of a moving vehicle (and as Pete said, that includes sat navs.....even factory installed ones)

as a smoker myself I cant find fault in banning smoking while driving, while sat in traffic in my ST years back I sparked up as there was absolutly no movement for near 1/2 hour, now I dont tend to smoke in my cars as I dont like stinkin the interior up but Id been in this traffic for near 2hrs and I dropped my window right down so I could lean right out and not let the smoke come into the car.

sods law the traffic edged forward and I immediatly pulled my head back in with the cig still in my mouth, in the process I knocked it out my mouth on the door frame and it fell right in my lap before rolling backwards under my ball sack (yes I was dressed), naturally as you do I reacted instantly as I didnt want to spot weld my nuts and I panic lifted my arse of the seat to grab it (still managed to burn my nice new seats in the 3secs it was on em.

After lobbing it out the window I had to sit in the traffic for another hour thinking about just how badly that could have gone if Id been driving at motorway speeds, I have no doubt Id have wrapped it.

From then, Ive never smoked with the engine running.

I thought it was: Driver not in proper control of vehicle....

which unfortunetly falls under "dangerous driving".

officer discretion can bring it down to "without due care" I expect but the final say would fall to a court decision.

After lobbing it out the window I had to sit in the traffic for another hour thinking about just how badly that could have gone if Id been driving at motorway speeds, I have no doubt Id have wrapped it.

.....at which point you got done for littering, which is pretty steep now as well i think! :rolleyes:

A few things stopped me smoking in my car, the first was flicking ash badly and it blowing in my eye, next was knocking the cherry off on my window edge into my car and the one that got me in the end was I felt self concious about hooning a cig out the window and it pinging off the car behind me or something (not that i ever witnessed it happen).

I cig at night being thrown from a moving car creates a mighty set of fireworks when it hits the floor. The lack of attention comes i think when lighting the thing because you have to look away breifly.

The reason i was posting really was because my phone has all my music on it and im using my left hand whilst glancing at it to change track which is nearly as bad as texting but the fact that its actually a phone would drop you in the poo because the association is there.

What about BJ's whilst driving, certainly a bit sketchy at the end, ahem maybe leave that one for another day.

What about BJ's whilst driving, certainly a bit sketchy at the end, ahem maybe leave that one for another day.

aslong as Liams ok giving it you in a moving car and you maintain focus.....shouldnt be an issue :thumb: