X Factor - Auto tune, Wtf?

Naylor2006

Right, best get the bad bit out the way with first, yes i watch the X Factor, i can't specifically put my finger on why, its not for the music maybe its the reality TV that i'm drawn too and that every now and again just get a real good raw awesome singer.

Can't say i've ever been a pop music fan, i like rock and hip hop mainly and being a hip hop fan i've heard alot of auto tune, there's been alot over the last few years with T Pain making it 'his thing' and Kanye bringing out 808's and Heart Break, it's every where but the style of vocal of the computer sound that comes with auto tune has been around for ages. Its not new its just trendy at the moment. Its not used by bad singers as a tool its used by good singers as an effect, anyway this brings me neatly onto X Factor.

Its a singing comp and at the audition stage more than any other stage it is about the raw talent of their voice and if its good enough to get them through. Last year they brought in the live audience and backing tracks which is one problem but tonight why o why have they used auto tune on the auditions. It wasn't as obvious as it is in a T Pain track but it was slyly there like they were expecting people not to notice. It was used on both good and awful auditions and it was phased in and out at certain points.

I know any second now Shawdreamer will be turning up at my Cottage in the Country and tear me 8 new ones for posting this but i'm a musician and found the use of auto tune during an audition for a signing comp out-fecking-rageous.

I'm off to get a life and hide for the gaper!

I know any second now Shawdreamer will be turning up at my Cottage in the Country and tear me 8 new ones for posting this but i'm a musician and found the use of auto tune during an audition for a signing comp out-fecking-rageous.

actually....Im feeling quite mellow this morning....possibly sleep deprevation.

that said I personally find the fact these shows are getting air time out-fecking-rageous in general.

additional to that fact is your own statement of "being a musician"..... how can you stand to see that shite regularly splatted across those shows called "talent" and not be offended.

Im no musician, did a fair bit of dj'ing in my time (so I do have a ear for a good structured tune) and I cant stand to see that shite on any tele in my house, missus is banned from putting any like show on a tele, she knows Id cancel my sky and tv license before Id let my lecky be wasted on it.

Edited by shawdreamer

it is a joke, one thing it proves is that its just as much about the style/face of the person rather than the ability to sing. Saying that i thought that black girl with the red flower in her hair was pretty good, liked what she did to the KC song. That version would sell aot of records, geri halliwell quickly latched onto the melody.

Autotune was in fact originally meant for correction in bad vocals, the application of it in its now "trendy" for I think was introduced by Cher in her track Believe. I cant like others think why it should be used in an audition as it should be pure vocals without filters or effects. I watch X-Factor and Im a songwriter, musician, qualified trained recording engineer. I often say just what Cowel says before he says it lol. I watch it for curiousity & as an onlooker at possible raw talent that can emerge from the show. I suppose I watch it from a judge view rather than entertainment. Edited by PeeWee

additional to that fact is your own statement of "being a musician"..... how can you stand to see that shite regularly splatted across those shows called "talent" and not be offended.

Like i said, I cant specifically state why i watch it but i'm a sucker for when someone belts out an Alicia Keys track note perfect, I actually find myself frustrated by the live shows especially having to watch a young black boy group such as JLS sing fking lame Westlife and Take That songs when their natural voices would have been far suited to some 90s american r n b groups, not to mention far cooler.

I know its difficult to make my point because i'm having a go at a show which by principles I should hate but i guess im entertained by it but if we put that debate aside and take it back to basics. Hosting a signing comp where people are mainly judged (at this stage anyways) on their singing ability and then give them an aid to make them sound better. With auto tune the worse you sing the more it corrects and the more computer sound you hear and therefore the more trendy it sounds (not in my eyes but you know what i mean) in todays pop music. Everyone has jumped on the autotune band wagon but we knew that a long time ago.

They might have been better admitting it as it was so obvious it was on.

Yeh the black girl with the red thing in her hair, forgotten her name, but yet she did sing really well but there was a tiny bit of auto tune on her as well. All of the auditions have been filmed at this point so im sure we can expect more autotune to come unless it was a post recording enhancement and the audience and judges didnt hear it.

I'll leave the 'how can 4 talentless people judges a talent show' for another day.

Thanks for not destroying me Shaw!

Edited by manifest

With auto tune the worse you sing the more it corrects and the more computer sound you hear and therefore the more trendy it sounds

Autotune needs to be carefully adjusted to create the effect your describing, it isnt set to the normal correction settings, in fact the singer sings perfectly in tune & the alterations to autotune are set to extreme alteration of the well sung vocal line. (I only know this having re created the said effect in practice).

I'll leave the 'how can 4 talentless people judges a talent show' for another day.

I would hardly call Simon Cowell "talentless", he is a very talented individual and extremely clever, very similar goes for Louis Walsh im afraid.

Edited by PeeWee

With auto tune the worse you sing the more it corrects and the more computer sound you hear and therefore the more trendy it sounds

Autotune needs to be carefully adjusted to create the effect your describing, it isnt set to the normal correction settings, in fact the singer sings perfectly in tune & the alterations to autotune are set to extreme alteration of the well sung vocal line. (I only know this having re created the said effect in practice).

I would hardly call Simon Cowell "talentless", he is a very talented individual and extremely clever, very similar goes for Louis Walsh im afraid.

I don't want that debate to be honest.

I thought you could just set it to adjust to a certain key and leave it to do its magic, you can get the software off the internet, i've never used it my self so i'm prepared to be educated, i haven't studied how it works so if its difficult to configure its even more of a joke that they used it.

I was just annoyed by the principle of using it during auditions. A couple of people agreed so i'm happy. :-)

I thought you could just set it to adjust to a certain key and leave it to do its magic, you can get the software off the internet, i've never used it my self so i'm prepared to be educated, i haven't studied how it works so if its difficult to configure its even more of a joke that they used it.

I was just annoyed by the principle of using it during auditions. A couple of people agreed so i'm happy. :-)

Your correct, it is a case of setting the needed configuration, it is easy, but the vocals need to be sung in tune (ironic really lol). It is rather expensive software though.

And yes I 100% agree with you, its bizzare to use such effects in an audition.

Your correct, it is a case of setting the needed configuration, it is easy, but the vocals need to be sung in tune (ironic really lol). It is rather expensive software though.

And yes I 100% agree with you, its bizzare to use such effects in an audition.

It wouldnt be foolish to think that the autotune wasnt live, maybe it was a dress up for TV because if they had to configure it for each artist within quick time contraints it would probably take to long.

Ive noticed a whole bunch of complaints online it you google it, i'm wondering if it will be on next weeks show unless it was live.

Maybe ill PM you then to discuss lol, I think two x factor posts on the this forum might get me banned.

Autotune can indeed be used live (in fact im sure theres a hardware version), it can be programmed beforehand to have multiple presets.

In fact yes, here is the hardware version.

http://www.antarestech.com/products/avp.shtml

Remember that the vocal track will be independant from the rest of the mix, so easily implemented live by any competent sound engineer.

That is classic and touches on the debate about Simon's talent, i guess musically he has no talent but just guesses whats going to sell and that is his talent. He must have started somewhere though, he's in a sweet position now though, the money comes to him.

Autotune requires presets, i'm interested to know if it was pre planned, it would have to be to be a live effect or has a sound engineer dressed up the vocal channel post recording?

There's been alot of pee takes with auto tune of late, the double rainbow was amazing but if you haven't seen the south park ripping kanye west over a gay fish joke you should, the song at the end of the episode is brilliant.

They can't possibly use it on the live shows, but they probably will.