A/V seperates

Craig855S

I'm thinking of increasing our film watching enjoyment by getting better audio than the standard tele speakers (goodmans 27" CRT upstairs, or the samsung 37" HD downstairs)

I've spied on ebay some mission speakers and a NAD amp (stereo only) that I would like to run in our bedroom with the PS3 (500GB full of films, and obviously gaming)

And im wondering if it's worth getting seperates for downstairs too, or using these speakers, or maybe getting a samsung surround system from littlewoods..

Does anyone use seperates in their home cinema systems? or even in their home stereos? Are they all good? Missions are good right? (I remember having an audiophile mate who had a set of £600 mission speakers and a very expensive NAD amp in his room and it did sound fantastic playing music)

Would the Mission 760iSE Speakers and a NAD 302 be any good? Or are they too old? Have cheap Samsung systems surpassed what mission could do all those years ago?

I wouldnt bother at this day in age for watching the Tv or using on the PS.

http://www.laskys.com/home_cinema_and_audi..._pt480eb_k.html

Thats the newer model of we we've got, its got great sound, night mode to quiet the sub etc... and keeps everything out of the way of kids.

i got a sherwood 6.1 surround sound receiver running mordaunt short ms914 floorstanders great speakers imo (sold all my surround sound,had biploar rears etc with sub woofer) but just the ms914's running through the amp in virtual dolby mode is good enough for me.

take a look at richer sounds website its where ive always bought my stuff from,its like old stock and last year stuff :thumb:

I've a sony cinema surround sound system and does the job nicely, similar to what Ian recommended

I've got a Sony one too. the HT-SS100. Its a reciever unit with 5.1 speakers. Great bit of kit as it has 3HDMI inputs (1. PS3, 2.DVD, 3.FreesatHD) and outputs on a 4th HDMI, It grabs the sound from the feed and chuckes it out the 5.1, preventing it from coming from the TV's built in speakers. Works a treat.

Ian, JC, and Rob. A good argument for the 5.1 systems from the stanard tele manufacturers, however, with second hand seperates and a stereo amp (or even a 5.1 and amp 5 bookshelf speakers and a sub may be buyable for less than the cost of a new samsung one) I could probably get better SQ, which is what I care about, along with muchos cheapness.

Just wondering if the lack of surround sound of the sytem on ebay will be made up for by the increase in clarity and warmness, and huge cost saving obv..

think ill buy em for the upstairs tele, and if im much impresses ill prob end up getting a similar setup downstairs, just need this amp to stay as cheap as the speakers are.

I seriously think youd be hard pushed the get a better quality level for the price.

I was in your shoes about a year or so ago as i was going to buy a decoder to go with my Technics, but by the time i bought that and some half decent small speakers it would have cost more, and trust me mouting speakers on the wall is the best thing ever to keep it away from the kids, especially as our house isnt the biggest so space is at a premium.

See if Currys or somewhere local has the set i said about and take a CD with you to give it a go.

1000wRMS is alot from such a small system, and the sub has a very strong presence (we have ours on min).

I have a Samsung TV but got the Phillips system as no-one else seemed to one half as good at the time for a similar price. It lives in the unit anyway so its never seen.