70" screen anyone?

Craig855S

At work there is a conference room that we like to play PS3 on the projector in (MASSIVE SCREEN) in full HD and I decided to look into the cost of getting a similar spec projector for the bedroom. On friday we are taking delivery of a new bed and will be re-jiggin the room round so I've decided to take action and get the projector this week (and some stereo speakers and amp)

So I'm currently chasing projectors on ebay (missed out on 3 tonight, let 2 slide cos i really wanted one thats just ended, my max bid was £2 less than what it went for, and a lot less than the 2 i let go earlier went for)

I will be mounting it above our heads pointing at the wall down past the foot of the bed (the wall isnt huge because it has a built in wardrobe taking up half of it)

Should be able to get 70" screen in 4:3 (heopfully more) or I may even toy around with the room a bit more to project it onto the larger wall (where it could be well over 100") but that will probably be a poor use of the room space.

Now I can get rid of my old 28" CRT, and this whole setup is going to set me back less than £150 (speakers and amp ending on ebay soon, should end low, and they're DENON and TECHNICS bits)

Pics when I've got it all up and running

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BenQ MP610 DLP projector.....you tell me (its average sale price when new was 800 dollars

Origionally i was gonna settle for the W100 from BenQ as that was highly rated considering it's price, but after noticing the MP610 is better for little more outlay i went for that. But since i've missed out on them my next target is a optoma EX330, or HP MP3222.

Basically, so long as it's better than my 28" CRT, then im more than happy.

As for the speakers and amp, they seem to be going for anything from 20 quid+ (each) Im hoping to get some Technics SC-CH530s for as close to the starting 20 quid bid as i can (and theyre just down the road so i can collect)

Technics/Denon amps regularly end cheap as chips

Mate, for less than £150 quid your gonna be looking at a crappy old 800x600, 4:3 projector. Firstly chances are it won't have a HDMI input for your PS3 etc. and secondly it's 4:3 and all films are letterbox...

Also bare in mind projector bulbs last on average 2000 hours, so if you are getting a used one make sure it's got a new(ish) bulb.

What image are you feeding into the projector?

PC? PS3? Sky/Freesat? DVD?

PS3, through component cables

You can receive a HD quality picture on a 70" projection screen?

I didn't know this...

are we talking the same kind of HD quality that you get out of a 1080p 47" LCD screen (for example)?

At this price it wont be 1080P, but remember, im only wanting it to be better than 28" CRT (which is only 576 pixels tall IIRC) and by doing this isntead of buying 47" LCD tele im saving a LOT of money

Mate, for less than £150 quid your gonna be looking at a crappy old 800x600, 4:3 projector. Firstly chances are it won't have a HDMI input for your PS3 etc. and secondly it's 4:3 and all films are letterbox...

Also bare in mind projector bulbs last on average 2000 hours, so if you are getting a used one make sure it's got a new(ish) bulb.

Native resolution is about 8x6 on these, however it says they have a max resolution of 1280x1024, and via component cable then you should get that surely.. As for the 4:3, i dont mind a black bar along the top and bottom of the screen

As for lamp hours, even the oldest bulb i've looked at has had 900 hours out of 2000 used, that leave 1100 hours and when it will only be used for several hours a week that's years of use. For less than £100.

1080 isnt 4:3?

Id be looking to pay alot more than that if you want quality - my screen was about £250iirc for a motorised one. Dont cheap out on it as itll only dissapoint.

Also why not look at the new Casio LED ones?

they start at about £600, but are excellent VFM. You do get what you pay for.

1080 isnt 4:3?

Id be looking to pay alot more than that if you want quality - my screen was about £250iirc for a motorised one. Dont cheap out on it as itll only dissapoint.

Also why not look at the new Casio LED ones?

they start at about £600, but are excellent VFM. You do get what you pay for.

As I've said, it wont be 1080, I'm not getting a widescreen one, but they do display at high resolutions. Higher than cheap teles anyway, and as I said, I'm doing this as a replacement for a cheap tele, not because I want to spend hundreds and hundreds of pounds....But who knows, maybe ill get hooked and quickly replace it with a much bigger one.

And I dont think i'll use a screen, I may just paint a bit of wall white. (seen many vids on youtube or cheap projectors playing onto white walls and they look fine)

Bare in mind that 1024x768 will look a lot worse than a decent rear projection telly, or even a big CRT! It's not about how many pixels it has, its about how the hardware itself takes the signal and turns it into the picture.

For example:

My housemate has a 1080i telly (1280x720 pixels). I have a cheap 1080p telly (1920x1080) and downstairs we have a decent sized CRT telly (576i). Out of all the TV's, mine is the worst because the way it displays the pixels is really choppy and you get horrible, hard edges. The CRT is very good because although it has the least pixels, the picture is very soft and smooth for films and games. Halo Reach looks awesome on it!