70" screen anyone?

Craig855S

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amp now bought, and 10M of speaker cable.

OK it cost more than the £50 it could have, but although i'd hoped to get this all done for £150 It's not like I dont mind spending more, and all this equipment can be resold for exactly what I've paid.

I got the MV2 speakers, and after a bit of googling the phrase "amp for mission MV2" I found that you can buy a package from superfi with the MV2 speaker and an acoustic solutions CAMP1 amp, so I found a CAMP1 amp on ebay for 30 quid and bought it.

RRP of the package = 179.99 before postage

Current selling price on superfi = 139.99 before postage

What I paid on ebay = 85.00 inc postage (including speaker wire)

Now to get a projector, hopefully I can get one for sub £100 inc postage (then I just need some long component cables and power extension leads (maybe)

A cheap projector wont replace a tv.

It looks poor on a painted wall when you see it in detail, especially if you are going to use it all the time.

A typical bulb is going to last 2k hours - 3k.

Most cost cira £200, some more, some less.

As said Optoma are the cheapest to buy and replace bulbs for.

Hours arent garunteed though, so dont think this is going to be cheaper and better than a big TV. Buy a 2nd hand projector and dont count on the bulb hours being true unless its from someone you know.I do this as part of my job day in day out. Trust me do it right the first time or youll be chasing your tail and spending alot more than you planned to - Its a false ecconomy.

Not to mention colours bleeding etc..

Are you having a breakout box?

What is a breakout box?

All I want, is something that is better than a 28" CRT, much cheaper to buy than a huge HDTV, and that looks as good as the one at work (And the one at work is a basic "powerpoint presentation" type one in a small briefing room at work (I'll have to look into the model number and maybe look to purchase one of them cos i know it looks great with the PS3)

Replacement bulb costs as I'ev said arent much of a put-off since it'll omnly be used for several hours a week. And it'll be cheaper to replace the whole projector than to stick a bulb in it. There are projectors on ebay selling for very little and the RRP of these things are quite high so surely It's a bargain, surely there is very little demand for used projectors, like saloon cars in auctions and fish tanks on ebay.

Ian, do you have any projectors you could sell? One that will fit my needs?

As for the wall, it will be painted and then flatted so it's very smooth...However, some of these projectors on ebay do include screens so i may get lucky and win one of them

Edited by Craig855S

Something like this:

http://cpc.farnell.com/_/av18755/cable-ass...merch=true&

They are pretty much the ones i use, so if you mount the projector on the roof you just plug into the box which you wall mount near the existing TV/ PS. Run the cables up the wall and to the projector - ig go above the downstairs celing but as your renting i dont know that you want to be pulling up the floorboards.

Projector wise the cheapest i've used (previous model) is this:

http://www.lambda-tek.com/componentshop/in...;prodID=B255404

Youll maybe find it a bit cheaper if you shop around. The benifit of this model is the bulb price:

http://www.avpartsmaster.net/catalog/index...ducts_id=143420

£120 - these are about the cheapest youll find.

Most projectors we use the bulbs are around £250ish so its quite a saving, although saying that ive gone LED on the new ones so a massive saving over a time but more to pay out upfront.

Most projectors i remove need bulbs, so to be honest by the time you bought one youd proberbly be better off buying a new Optoma, but i can ask if interested, as i do have some working ones that go on the emergency spares pile.

I also have one of my own i may sell that has really low bulb hours and always been allowed to cool before moving. I could find out the model when im next home and let you know?

Something like this:

http://cpc.farnell.com/_/av18755/cable-ass...merch=true&

They are pretty much the ones i use, so if you mount the projector on the roof you just plug into the box which you wall mount near the existing TV/ PS. Run the cables up the wall and to the projector - ig go above the downstairs celing but as your renting i dont know that you want to be pulling up the floorboards.

Projector wise the cheapest i've used (previous model) is this:

http://www.lambda-tek.com/componentshop/in...;prodID=B255404

Youll maybe find it a bit cheaper if you shop around. The benifit of this model is the bulb price:

http://www.avpartsmaster.net/catalog/index...ducts_id=143420

£120 - these are about the cheapest youll find.

Most projectors we use the bulbs are around £250ish so its quite a saving, although saying that ive gone LED on the new ones so a massive saving over a time but more to pay out upfront.

Most projectors i remove need bulbs, so to be honest by the time you bought one youd proberbly be better off buying a new Optoma, but i can ask if interested, as i do have some working ones that go on the emergency spares pile.

I also have one of my own i may sell that has really low bulb hours and always been allowed to cool before moving. I could find out the model when im next home and let you know?

no I wont be using a breakout box, ill just secure the cable to the wall and ceiling to get it up there (5m of component or HDMI should do it)

That projector you've linked to looks rather good, however im still hoping to get an ebay bargain (2 brand new ones on there for auction starting very low, unwanted gifts apparently)

However, I'd be interested in hearing what you could sell me, sol long as the bulb still performs as new and has at least several hundred hours left on it (if it only has 200 hours on it i may still want it but not for much money)

It all arrived today, apart from the component HD leads. I've done a dry run of it all placing the projector on a bedside table 5 foot from the wall (cant get any further away since the bed is there, It will be mounted on the roof above the bed) and the picure quality is fine (image was probably more than 30" but not quite 40, and running yellow composite PS3 lead)

I'm more than happy with my purchase, time to get my ass to focus DIY and get the stuff to make the wall white and smooth as glass.

The amp and speakers are absolutely fantastic, couldnt ask for more for a bedroom, this will easily pee the neighbours off and the SQ at all volumes is wonderful IMO... However I can see me upgrading sooner or later.

• 3 weeks later...

well, the projector is now ceiling mounted, with component video leads, and the wall has JUST been given it's first coat of special pale grey paint. I'll bang some pics up when it's fully painted and bordered. Next is some conduit to put the cables behind.

Total spend so far is about £160, prob another 10-20 to be spent. It's been up and running for weeks but not ready to show off yet. And even at 800x600 resolution im happy I bought this instead ..... whatever you can buy for 160 quid in the HD tele market.

• 2 weeks later...

Pow, Forgive the artistic spikes in the corner of the border lol.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v624/scoop2004/18102010797.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v624/scoop2004/18102010799.jpg

The grey has yet to be sanded completely flat, so i can see the texture of the brushmarks at the minute