How much do you have to earn to live comfortably

LiamGTR

Been asking this recently and got answers from £15k/£60k ... LOL!

For example, how much would you have to earn to have:

- A nice 2/3 bedroom house (maybe with a garage?)

- A nice car

- A dog (pet)

- 1/2 children (when I reach 30+)

- Spare money to go out with mates/treat the other half on weekends

Discuss :cheers:

You call that a comfortable life ? I call it a nightmare.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I earn about 30-35k a year and my misses is part time at the mo because my kid is still young. But when she goes back she will be getting 18k a year easy. We live in council house at the mo but could easily afford to rent out own place what im hoping to do after xmas. And still not be skint, would like to get a morgage in a years time need about 15k deposit so another 12-18 months should hopefull be able to buy my own house

having never lived in a council house, I don't know, but isn't there some kind of 'rule' which stops someone earning £30-35k from having a council subsidised home?! If not, that's a Fcuking disgrace.

For what I deem to be "comfortable", I'll go with £50k per year

Yeah I did wonder that. Seems an awfully high amount to be earning whilst living in a council property. I'm sure someone else would benefit more from having that house!

Here we are in billions of pounds worth of debt (the government spent over £20b in 2008/09 funding housing/council tax benefit) and there are people earning this level of income who feel the need to be council properties?

Is it any wonder this country is in such a sad state of affairs?! No doubt these are the same people who will soon be kicking up a sh*t storm (if not already) about child tax credits.

People Fcuking BAFFLE me.

Edited by Brown

Here we are in billions of pounds worth of debt (the government spent over £20b in 2008/09 funding housing/council tax benefit) and there are people earning this level of income who feel the need to be council properties?

Is it any wonder this country is in such a sad state of affairs?! No doubt these are the same people who will soon be kicking up a sh*t storm (if not already) about child tax credits.

People Fcuking BAFFLE me.

BROKEN BRITAIN

There's no rule about how much you can earn and have a council house. You could be a millionaire and they'd still give you one. What p*sses me off is lazy 'never worked a day in their life' couples living rent free and using their 8 kids as cash machines getting more in benefits than I earn after working every day since I left school. Rant over.

There's no rule about how much you can earn and have a council house.

This is the problem, but not the only part.

Its the attitude of people who think they should be entitled to a council house when they're raking it in. People raking it in, council house, and tax credits for umpteen kids.

The missus and I currently earn less than most here earn individually (hopefully that will change on Monday when I interview for a very well paid and secure vacancy!!).

We privately rent a 2 bed apartment at £500 per month (no bills or council tax (band B) are included) in a decent area of Leeds. We both have cars, we have a cat and still retain a social life. We both went to university and lived away from home (my student house rent wasn’t far off what we pay now) she’s now funding her masters whilst working full time. Both of us were raised in council estates which our parents still live (mine in Nottingham, hers in Leeds).

We are 22 and 23 and debt free :)

i have nt issue with people on a good wage renting a council house. Without knowing the full story just cause they're on a good wage now doesn't mean they were at the time they got it or have massive depts that they are currently repaying therefore can't get or afford mortgage.

I'd far rather see council houses being rented by reasonably well off than filled with skum who never have or never intend to work a day in their life!

As for original question, comfortable to us with the scenario give, 2 kids, dog etc, would in most cases mean a minimum of 2 bed house of some description. Take a trip to the 3rd world, comfortable to them is their whole family under cover each night, running water a luxury, oh and £60 a week for not having a job, thats like winning the lottery!

Edited by stuey650

Definitely think I under estimated...

Maybe not.. definitely depends on how 'broad' of a term "comfortable" means to someone.

To me, comfortable = a modest home, a car, bills paid, a few nights out per month, enough money for clothes, savings and at least 1 holiday/overseas trip a year. That will be excessive for some, and not enough for others.