quiting smoking

shawdreamer

So......

After nearly 20yrs of smoking Ive had to admit that its way way WAY past time I looked at stopping smoking, its not that I begrudge smokers, not atall, its helped me stay calm in the most stressful of situations over the years but what with my continuing health issues I feel the added damage smoking does to me is just something I cant ignore anymore......

That in mind.

What are everyone's suggestions and experiences in regards to quiting?

patches?

tablets?

substitutes?

what works best, longest, efficiently?

what sort of time scale am I looking at here before I can discontinue using any of the above?

helpful sites, shops, experts, advice sources?

Ive never really paid attention but heard mention that my GP can even help with advice and even prescriptions through quiting clinics....true?.. not true?..... anyone got details??

genuine response's will be appreciated..... pointless ones will be ridiculed (but don't let that stop you.....I'm just giving you pre-warning) :thumb:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive given up smoking twice now the first time I done it cold turkey cos I was pregnant..............then seven years later I started smoking again :(

Now im on the second time round im now up to 10 months of nt smoking,and I used some tablets from the doctor called Champix,me and my mum have done it together she had been smoking since she was a shocking 8 yrs old,she was on 50 a day,she has almost reached her year.

I find these tablets seem to work for loads of people I know,You smoke on them for 8 days,which in that space of time I only made it to the six day of smoking and taking them cos the ciggy gave me a nasty taste in my mouth and made me feel so sick,it was like when you first take the first drag kinda sick. lol

Now I cant stand being in the same room as someone who is smoking, but the worst off all that makes me heave is the smell once they come back inside i keep mints and perfume in my handbag for other people lmaooo

I done it through a no smoking clinic,which give you the prescription to take to docs to get made up,and me personally I would recommend then to anyone trying :)

Edited by oxheylady

pretty much everyone I know who has stopped succesfuly have gone cold turkey. :)

I'm sure pretty much anyone you knew hadn't also recently been prescribed massive doses of Beta blockers in another seemingly pointless attempt to suppress stress related emotional states either?

last thing I need to do is risk pushing my stress levels unnecessarily higher than they have too....... and cold turkey would do that I guarantee it, Id rather not suffer a thyroid induced coronary thanx Lee. :))

I don't need to know what works more as much as I need to know what works best so I can limit any increase in stress levels to minimum.

tbf I should have added that info to the first post really....whoopsie.

Edited by shawdreamer

pretty much everyone I know who has stopped succesfuly have gone cold turkey. :)

I'm sure pretty much anyone you knew hadn't also recently been prescribed massive doses of Beta blockers in another seemingly pointless attempt to suppress stress related emotional states either?

last thing I need to do is risk pushing my stress levels unnecessarily higher than they have too....... and cold turkey would do that I guarantee it, Id rather not suffer a thyroid induced coronary thanx Lee. :))

I don't need to know what works more as much as I need to know what works best so I can limit any increase in stress levels to minimum.

tbf I should have added that info to the first post really....whoopsie.

I think it all depends on the person and what works best for them!!

The champix worked best for me because I have anger problems brought on by stress,when I used the patches I still smoked with one on my arm lmao

i gave up last year using champix mainly due to my work hours and lack of wil power was on the tablets for 10 weeks not touched a ciggy for nigh on 9 months ish

so thats two people championing these champix thingies?

any side effects or use limitations?

I quit for a year by going cold turkey, started again when drunk... i also cut down loads by using an electronic cigarette, not everyone likes them but they give you nicotine and something that tastes a bit like a fag to inhale with no carcinogens /tar/CO etc etc

Last time I wanted help from NHS stop smoking - years ago they basically told me to fcuk off because i wasn't on benefits and had a job... dunnno if that still the case

I quit for a year by going cold turkey, started again when drunk...

Exactly the same here.

Then 2 years after that I had to go under gthe knife for some unpleasant slicin' 'n' dicin' and been told by various beatiful nurses that smoking slows down healing. Stopped the same day, quit it for about 4 months ( everyhing healed :) ) and after that I'm trying to limit myself to 2 - 4 fags a day. Which is pretty good from 25 - 30 a day I reckon.

I quit for a year by going cold turkey, started again when drunk... i also cut down loads by using an electronic cigarette, not everyone likes them but they give you nicotine and something that tastes a bit like a fag to inhale with no carcinogens /tar/CO etc etc

Last time I wanted help from NHS stop smoking - years ago they basically told me to fcuk off because i wasn't on benefits and had a job... dunnno if that still the case

Well I'm still working and tbh I don't mind paying out as long as the money is well spent and worthwhile.

My sister suggested the lecky tokers and I can see the reasoning behind them, half the time the worse part of quiting is having nothin to do with your hands

Id rather try them over the ones you see advertised on tele (the spoof cowboy film one, I forget the brand name) as they look ridiculas and I really wouldn't feel right using them out in public, plus the lecky ones Id expect offer a more psychological cushion due to their simulated smoke and familiar appearance.

were can you get them tho?, Ive not seen em for sale in the UK (least not offline)

i gave up last year using champix mainly due to my work hours and lack of wil power was on the tablets for 10 weeks not touched a ciggy for nigh on 9 months ish

i did have Fcuk off evil headaches start happening after i finished the course of tablets which i was convinced was the tablets but after 9 months i still have them so i wouldnt say it waas the tablets

i know of others who are on the champix who are doin well the doctor wouldnt prescirbe zyban to me due to my history of epilepsy

with the champix u continue to smoke until u get a point u dont feel like it took me about 3-4 days after starting tablets i lit one up at work smoked half just didnt feel like the rest so i put it out and not touched one since only pisser was that was the first of a new fresh pack

i did have Fcuk off evil headaches start happening after i finished the course of tablets which i was convinced was the tablets but after 9 months i still have them so i wouldnt say it waas the tablets

i know of others who are on the champix who are doin well the doctor wouldnt prescirbe zyban to me due to my history of epilepsy

with the champix u continue to smoke until u get a point u dont feel like it took me about 3-4 days after starting tablets i lit one up at work smoked half just didnt feel like the rest so i put it out and not touched one since only pisser was that was the first of a new fresh pack

whenever I go out in sunlight I suffer heat aversion and light aversion causing migraines (God I love this gland) so headaches wont really bother me too much.

Even my bints starting to call my a feckin Vampire ffs. :pancake: