MOT failure

gazeebo

Hi all.My car (1993 XR3I)has failed it's MOT on a few different things.I'll list the things down so I can receive peoples opinions on what they think...

1)Horn not working(I'll fix that myself...probably)

2)Nearside front headlamp not working on main beam(as above)

3)Parking brake efficiency below requirements

Here are the biggies...

4)Offside rear vehicle structure has excessive corrosion seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings

Deep joy...number 5 is the same as number 4 but it's nearside instead.

I've had a few words with the owner of the garage and they quoted me £200 to repair numbers 4 and 5.I said that I'd do numbers 1 and 2 and he said that 3 wouldn't take that long(adjusting etc).

What are folks opinions on the price that I was quoted bearing in mind I know less about welding than I do about quantum physics.Also has anybody got any good contacts with welders in the South London/Kent area.Thanks in advance,Gazeebo.

Forgot to mention that I knew the horn wasn't working a few days ago but since the garage do a 10 day free re-test I'd fix little things myself...the headlight main beam included.

I'll try and get a couple of pics later on of the rust patches.

I was rather expecting it to fail on the rust areas so didn't bother cancelling the MOT test.

Why do people write things that have nothing to do with the original question...

Ive decided I like you....

enjoy the high honour :thumb:

(I also use the 10day period to have the mot inspectors find faults I might not have)

anyway.....

Its hard to judge whether the pricing is fair without adequate photo's with which to judge...... but!, £200 notes sounds reasonable for two plate repairs.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.Firstly many thanks for the replies...

Thanks Shawdreamer for the vote of confidence.I'm a likeable person,just ask the missus(well,perhaps don't).

Cheers Stoney,I live in Eltham,South East London.The Escy is booked in tomorrow for the welding bits and brakes to be done as I've managed to get the horn and the headlight working,took me a good 5 or 10 mins of intensive fiddling.

I've managed to turn on the camera and got a few snaps of the rust areas...do tell what your opinions are regarding how bad it looks.

Ruddy hell...could someone please explain how to upload and display pictures on here.I've uploaded 4 onto evo-host but I've no idea how to get them from there onto here.Advice please,Gazeebo.

I'm in Manchester and during Nov 2010, I had passenger side rear chassis rail and also two small holes on the passenger and drivers side footwells welded for £100.

Must admit, its pigeon sh*t welds covered with underseal, but good and strong and welder used what looked like 3mm steel, it passed its MOT test.

I would have prefer the welds to be neater but time and money was of the essence.

Prior to welding, the chassis rail on mine car was in same condition as what's on your car.

• 4 weeks later...