Project Pimp.

Ahmotorsport

Will the company give you a replacement?

Personally, I'd take the dimensions and e-mail Nissens and see what they've got that's similar.

It wasn't a company it was an Imp owner.

That's the next part if this doesn't work. Or, take it to a rad place for them to recore it or something.

Imp has another problem. In traffic today with the wipers on and the battery charge lamp flashed and it died. All dash lights (other than surrounding lights) went out for a few seconds and then i could start it again. I thought it was the wiper motor tripping the system out. Then it started doing it with the lights on, then without. Something's disturbing the ignition as there is plenty of fuel. The charge light will flash and it just cuts out completely.

I thought the battery might be going flat, so i took it off and put it on charge, within seconds it was charged. So it's definitely charging, the battery light must be flashing on because the car is dying. Not the other way around. I'm working tomorrow unfortunately, but i think i will have to walk in as that car won't be going anywhere. Have to tow it to old work on Sunday and have a look at it.

Bad earth somewhere?

Yeah mate I think so. Probably on the starter solenoid.

dont you mean alternator?

the starter would cause a starting issue not a cut out issue Id have thought?

The alternator feeds in to the same unit as the starter and it explains why my fan and pump stop working when it cuts out.

Update tried to start it this morning. No dash lights other than illumination with main lights on. No heater fan and it wouldnt start at all. Then it stopped turning over completely. Then after fiddling around a bit it turned over once more. Then if I didnt start walking id be late to work.

Edited by Ahmotorsport

Good news folks, the Imp lives again.

Whipped out the Haynes manual this afternoon, brought back my multimeter from work and got playing. After playing around checking feeds and earths, i found i had power to the ignition switch and power to the white wire which feeds the coil, battery charge lamp and other things, but no power at the fusebox on the other end. I checked the resistance of the wire and had an open circuit. Traced the wire back to a multi plug under the dashboard, fiddled around with it and all my dash lights came on, fan and pump kicked in. I believe i have found the problem. Pull the plug apart to see that same white wire has fallen out of said plug. Clip it back in, plug it back together "brrrruuuummmmm".....That's it!

During my playing around i noticed the contact breakers are already coked up and needed adjustment. Well, i'm going to get fed up with that. I've just ordered a direct swap Hall effect Accuspark ignition unit. No more messing about in there!

I did get some strange looks, lying down on the floor in the wet, dirty road while it was pissing it with rain. Chuffed to bits she's all running again now.

Update. Must have been quite some time that connections been working loose as the wipers are brilliant now. They used to be quite slow, i put that down to "How they used to be" but they're quite good now. Heater is better also, sort of clears the screen now.

Looking forward to Saturday to fit my freshly welded rad in, hopefully get some gauges fitted too. Temperature one is most important at the moment.

B. Thunder is running sweet!