BMW 318is mega-project

sidrick

Couldnt you take it to powerflow or longlife or something and get a subtle custom backbox for no more than £170

Win win because its new, shiny, and gives a bit of noise no?

I take it home, book it into a powerflow dealer (probably wouldn't get it this weekend, so it'd be into April since weekdays are a no-go), pay your very low estimate of £170 plus the various knackered brackets that hold it on, then ask the MOT place for a retest (was a 9 day wait for my MOT, so would imagine it'd be the same). Pretty much 3 weeks without a car that can be (is now) on the road today.

I thought I'd pretty much covered that in my main post.

That's what the 5er is costing me on friday for a custom stainless rear silencer with twin tailpipes

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couldnt you take it to powerflow or longlife or something and get a subtle custom backbox for no more than £170

Win win because its new, shiny, and gives a bit of noise no?

I take it home, book it into a powerflow dealer (probably wouldn't get it this weekend, so it'd be into April since weekdays are a no-go), pay your very low estimate of £170 plus the various knackered brackets that hold it on, then ask the MOT place for a retest (was a 9 day wait for my MOT, so would imagine it'd be the same). Pretty much 3 weeks without a car that can be (is now) on the road today.

I thought I'd pretty much covered that in my main post.

That's what the 5er is costing me on friday for a custom stainless rear silencer with twin tailpipes

I'm not disputing that.

Shame the 3 and 5 series don't have the same exhaust system :(

what im getting at sidrick is that longlife have a sort of flat fee for back boxes. 159 for the standard tailpipe or a 10 surcharge if you want a larger/extra tailpipe. I imagine powerflow charge the same if not less (since longlife are much higher quality than powerflow)

If its only the last foot or 2 of the system then you would ahve got it for the above price, but since you didnt wanna wait around and end up paying re-test fees etc then its 6 and 2 3s really

For me to get a full stainless replacement system would cost an aweful lot though, since I have 2 cats, 2 resonators AND 2 mufflers

what im getting at sidrick is that longlife have a sort of flat fee for back boxes. 159 for the standard tailpipe or a 10 surcharge if you want a larger/extra tailpipe. I imagine powerflow charge the same if not less (since longlife are much higher quality than powerflow)

If its only the last foot or 2 of the system then you would ahve got it for the above price, but since you didnt wanna wait around and end up paying re-test fees etc then its 6 and 2 3s really

For me to get a full stainless replacement system would cost an aweful lot though, since I have 2 cats, 2 resonators AND 2 mufflers

I know what you're getting at but I'm glad you see my point.

I'd like a stainless system and would have went down that road if the car was on the road at the time. However, I'd want both boxes to be replaced (as was done today) as I don't want a really loud system on my rusty rubbish-heap, drawing attention to it, lol, so it would have cost about the same IMO, but obviously the SS system would have been better......... better enough to have the car off the road for another 3 weeks (by that time more than £430 paid on insurance without it moving a mile since the policy started).... nah.

Ordered these yesterday and they're due to arrive tomorrow morning here at work:

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p89/adolftitler/ARBbolts.jpg

I've already got the bushes and links, so this'll be my Saturday project if the weather's good. Remove, refurbish, paint and refit the front anti-roll bar all with genuine BMW parts for less than £35 :)

Nice, deal and a half that.

How does it drive, have you been out and about in it yet?

I've not done many miles, but the suspension is hard. I think it needs time and some miles on the clock to settle.

There's also a slight knock from the n/s front ARB link, which is why I'm looking to sort that this weekend.

The engine is spot on :)

I went and taxed it today, so it's finally fully on the road!!

Took it out and did about 50-60 miles today. It didn't seem to be pulling as much as it should mid-range and the idle was occasionally slightly lumpy (not too noticable, but seemed like one cylinder was occasionally missing).

So:

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p89/adolftitler/SDC10167.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p89/adolftitler/SDC10169.jpg

Idles perfectly and pulls A LOT better now :D

I got a fuel filter too, but I'll probably save that for when I take the car into work for the rear trailing arm bushes, as I think they're perished (no word about them on the MOT though).