BMW 318is mega-project

sidrick

Sidrick, gutted for you matey.

I think you can get tools to remove rounded off bolts but I am not sure how much use that would be to you.

Wilko bolt removal sockets, I bought a set to try and get the rounded 15mm lower arm bolt which ultimately orived futile as the bolt head was so shrouded you couldnt get a good grip of it..... probably do the job on Sids tho as there easy to reach.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

shat! i just spotted the discs - exactly how long was the car stood for? lolol

About 6 weeks. It's Scotland, in the winter. Things rust quickly!

Sidrick, gutted for you matey.

I think you can get tools to remove rounded off bolts but I am not sure how much use that would be to you.

Wilko bolt removal sockets, I bought a set to try and get the rounded 15mm lower arm bolt which ultimately orived futile as the bolt head was so shrouded you couldnt get a good grip of it..... probably do the job on Sids tho as there easy to reach.

Got a link? Google gives me nothing.

do you have space to drill the head off remove the carrier and then get whats left out?

There's no room to get a drill in.

don't you work at a garage? Would the mechanics not be willing to let you take the bolt extraction set home overnight one night?

Take it you've tried shitloads of WD40 and very tightly gripped mole grips?

I'm popping through today to ask, but I doubt the mechanics will have anything. I mean, why would they? They've got access to gas torches.

WD40 and mole grips was a fail. These bolts are unbelievably torqued.

or you can file two sides flat until you can spanner it off?

oooh halfords shock and unlonck is pretty handy for this sort of thing, what about imperial sockets??? come on sid don't stop believin' ...

I'm going to go for the file approach this weekend.

I've tried a smaller imperial socket, but it chewed the bolt further.

don't you work at a garage? Would the mechanics not be willing to let you take the bolt extraction set home overnight one night?

Take it you've tried shitloads of WD40 and very tightly gripped mole grips?

I'm popping through today to ask, but I doubt the mechanics will have anything. I mean, why would they? They've got access to gas torches.

handy for this sort of thing, what about imperial sockets??? come on sid don't stop believin' ...

I don't know about garages mate but we (raf tools) have more ways of getting stuck fasteners out than you can shake a stick at. However we wouldnt use gas torches, I imagine they'd have a bolt extractor kit, because heat can't be used in all situations...