******* CHEAP FURNITURE!!

Craig855S

Just spent the afternoon turning our bedroom round, so that the bed would be on the wall that the wardrobe and chest of drawers used to be on,and the chest of drawers and wardrobe would be on the wall the bed used to be on. Took the TV off the chest of drawers and began sliding the chest of drawers a few feet over to allow the bed to be manouvered into it's place, and the thing caved in on itself. It was a cheap piece of flatpack crap that cost about £200 for the set (wardrobe,chest of drawers,bedside table..wardrobe fell apart when we moved house so we no longer have that)

So that was the chest of drawers ruined (Quickly flung that out as it was beyond repair)

Next I cleared under the bed and took the mattress of etc, noticed one of teh feet had a split up the wood so I put a couple of nails through it to close the split back down. Me and the wife picked the bed up and began rotating it 180 degrees and what should happen..The aforementioned leg falls clean off and the bed twists and cracks numerous slats (which are plywood)

The bed frame is built of a solid wood,but a very cheap wood, other parts like the slats though are plywood and the big centre beam the slats lie on has fallen apart numerous times.

So now I've vowed against buying anything made of MDF,plywood,and things that "simply assemble"

So looking on the gumtree and ebay at the minute for solid wood chest of drawers and king sized beds..They cost more than I have free in my bank in a month but they'll last so I'm prepared to spend more to get more.

Still got the cheap bedside table which is rubbish as fook and that will shortly get replaced by a nice solid alternative (something a little bigger too since this thing is only about 15"x15"x36"

Anyone else vowed to not buy cheap again?

We got a chest of drawers from Argos for my daughters cloths and we ended up binning them before she was even born! lol.

I found a website once that had really cheap furniture claiming it was solid wood, i ordered 2 bed side tables £19 each i beliven they were (including delivery) and i have to say, they are amazing, solid wood (even the backing) they were made really well and all lined up perfectly and have lasted us 2-3 years.

Cdiscount or CDdiscount.. Something like that...

So, resulting in that, i have not vowed to not buy cheap furniture, just cheap furniture thats made from coated chip board!

you ALWAYS pay for quality. dont care what anybody says.... yeah you can get some 'great' looking Wardrobes in Ikea for £60...... but compare them to a set from say Harveys & the quality is completly different.

Dont get me wrong - i'm not being a snob, far from the fooker. i kitted my old house as cheap as possible just so i could get in, hell i even use to buy smart price food (which isn't bad) but since then i always pay for the good stuff. if i can find the good stuff cheaper - then fair do's. but i dont buy cheap anymore.

ps....unlucky

I bought a 3+2 brown leather modern style settee set from ebay, cost me £500 (mega cheap) and Ive vowed never to spend 2k on a leather couch again (what my previous italian one cost) as the current ones qaulity of leather & buildmanship make the italian one look cheap and nasty.

Shaw didnt buy your 'italian leather' from SCS or such like did you?

when I say "Italian"......I mean it was shipped................from Italy :pancake:

why'd you think it cost feckin 2k!?!?!?!

last time I let the missus choose furniture without my nod :vangry:

Could you not just opt for your quarters to be furnished/ part furnished, thereby solving the problem?

You are right about the furniture though, i opened one of my Argos wardrobes quickly once, and the door came away in my hand. The Ikea replacement has been great though.