AV

caled

who cares ?

I think this is the most important point.

Turnout will be so utterly pathetic that it will be nothing like a fair reflection on what people really want. Part of me thinks that voting should be compulsory to try and get people to actually engage with politics, but then I think of some of the morons that would then vote, and the basis on which they'd vote, and that's possibly more frightening.

I'm unsure on how I'll vote in the referendum to be honest. I'm leaning towards no at this point, as I don't really see AV working especially well.

Alternative votes, basically you choose 3 people that you want to vote for 1st vote if loses they take your 2nd choice and if that loses they use your 3rd vote

..no....

The voter thus puts a '1' by their first-preference candidate, and can continue, if they wish, to put a '2' by their second-preference, and so on, until they don't care anymore or they run out of names. In some AV elections, such as most Australian elections, electors are required to rank all candidates.

If a candidate receives a majority of first-preference votes (more people put them as number one than all the rest combined), then they are elected.

If no candidate gains a majority on first preferences, then the second-preference votes of the candidate who finished last on the first count are redistributed. This process is repeated until someone gets over 50 per cent.

who cares ?

I think this is the most important point.

Turnout will be so utterly pathetic that it will be nothing like a fair reflection on what people really want. Part of me thinks that voting should be compulsory to try and get people to actually engage with politics, but then I think of some of the morons that would then vote, and the basis on which they'd vote, and that's possibly more frightening.

I'm unsure on how I'll vote in the referendum to be honest. I'm leaning towards no at this point, as I don't really see AV working especially well.

Pretty much how im looking at it, why cant they make it as simple as the party with the most votes wins.

Pretty much how im looking at it, why cant they make it as simple as the party with the most votes wins.

The current system, then?

And Massivewangers makes a good point, not many will turn up. There are local elections running simultaneously in england, but north of the border are having their general election for the scottish parliament and are therefore likely to have a higher turnout. Problem being, theyre massive lib dem/labour voters and likely to skew the results that way, with both actively pushing AV.

they already use AV in scotland, you have to rank numerous candidates, however I only ever chose tory 1, Labour 2, left the rest blank.

I can't see AV actually making a difference as to who wins each vote anyway. However I'll be voting and voting NO as the switch to AV, and the running costs of AV, are more than the current system, which works fine

I can't see AV actually making a difference as to who wins each vote anyway.

In some of the more marginal seats you may see a different winner to the one that received the most votes.

Im voting No. In my opinion the system needs changing, but I don't see this as a genuine alternative. And the costs of implementation are horrendous, money that could be far better spent, especially in a time where the government are cutting into spending at a stupid rate.

You can still vote FPTP even if the AV system wins - just write the 1 in the box of the party you want to win, then leave the rest blank!!

Yeah but other peoples votes will still make a differnt result possible.

AV is just a way of making votes for the green party and the BNP etc actuallly count as votes for real parties, they'll select BNP as their first choice, but as BNP will get the least votes (or any of the other stupid parties people will put at #1) then their #2 will go toward deciding the winner, and their #2 will probably be one of the big 3 parties

:( Really wanted someone to argue with me here so I could prove em wrong! haha was hoping for a 4am drunk shawdreamer response or something but NOOOOOOOOO you're all still talking about how you dont care about the royal wedding, seeing as its got near 500 views in like a day i think youre all lying cause clearly you all LOVE IT hahaha