anyone had experience purchasing clear perspex?

shawdreamer

Im looking for a couple of 1mtrx1mtr clear sheets of perspex.

theres plenty getting thrown about ebay but Im unsure of just whats considered a "fair" price on this stuff.

firstly it doesnt need to be super tough hard wearing such as the 5mm thick stuff Ive seen used for the cam covers on ere as its use wont see it undergo anywhere near that level of direct punishment.

basically Im making my own 60w 18v+ solar panel (*1) but I dont really fancy having the chunky panel boxes available scattered all over the surfaces of my house so after some careful investigation and a little experimentation I came up with a design that sandwiches the solar cells Ill be using between two sheets of clear perspex and eliminates the need for a case while minimizing the visual impact to the outside of my house.

A few panel builders Ive got to know looked over the idea and gave me the thumbs up on its feasibility so all I need to do now is gather the remainder of the materials I need..... namely the perspex.

soooooooo....recommendations people?, possible sellers I may wish to give a shout?, general experience with perspex use also appreciated.

*1..... I get very bored very very easily and anything that allows me to give the middle digit to the overpaid execs at BP is a bonus in my books :pancake:

For this (looking at the insane delivery prices on ebay) i'd probably try and get it from the sellers face to face. What are you gonna power with the solar panels?

My current setup charges a 12v deep cycle gel battery which inturn powers the front and rear garden lights and security floodlights aswell as a small external usb port to keep mobile devices topped up while out in the garden, all the uprated panel will do is basically supplement the existing panels load.

depending on how efficient the panels power results are I may add an additional 1-2 storage batteries and route some usb charge points inside the house aswell.

granted it sounds like maybe more work than its worth but given that later in this year Im possibly gonna have to further reduce my workload and therefore my wage I figured If I cant make as much money for my family I can certainly find ways of saving them money instead.

plus....... the whole idea of making my own panel and actually getting practical use from it interests me and gives me a warm and squishy feeling in my tummy. :thumb:

Sorry can't help you with sourcing some perspex, but i would just like to say that not only are you a comedy genius with your posts on here, you've also found a way of supplementing your energy supplies thus cutting those greedy thieving fecking energy companies profits top work :thumb:

only problem with perspex is that it goes quittle brittle. at least in my own experience when using it for outdoors stuff.

i use 3mm perspex without much of an isse when im modding computer cases

longterm brittleness shouldn't be to great an issue unless we suddenly suffer a massive storm with hail the size of cricket balls.

It's a bad idea. I know you won't accept that, but it is what it is.

Use very good grade glass. Acrylic isn't going to be great for solar efficiency. It scratches easily, gets damaged by UV (and putting a UV inhibitor on will filter out light), and is generally a bad idea.

It's a bad idea. I know you won't accept that, but it is what it is.

Use very good grade glass. Acrylic isn't going to be great for solar efficiency. It scratches easily, gets damaged by UV (and putting a UV inhibitor on will filter out light), and is generally a bad idea.

the whole "scratching" issue did occur to me too but the boffs who looked over my plan said it shouldnt really be a great issue aslong as Im planning to place the panel in a similiar manner to a standard off the shelf job (ergo high up out the way and away from obstructions such as trees etc) and Im using acrylic perspex (they did say It would need to be the non-reactive type?).

When I asked about stuff like hail/sleet and just general debri like leaves and the like they said the exact same issue is dealt with by off the shelf jobs every day and they rarely use anything above 2mm perspex planes (my own current one is the same.....I went and had a nose :pancake: )

I did have another idea along the same lines as the 2x perspex panes sandwiching the cells, that was basically mounting the cells to a single clear pane then covering the facia with a clear laminate sheet as oppose to a solid pane of perspex, It seemed like a much cleaner neater approach to me but a couple pointed out that the whole setup might not be as strong and rigid without adding a frame (obviously defeating the entire point of the design in the first place) :unsure:

Edited by shawdreamer

that and the fact that Im attempting to remedy a problem that may or may not arise in my plan preferably before it occurs...........

a simple "no" just doesn't help much now does it?

a "no....but" is a much more useful response, failing that a "no...because" is atleast usable

• 3 weeks later...

just incase anyones interested,

couple of weeks and less than 60squid later

the results of boredom turned into a productivity.....

http://www.evo-host.co.uk/getimg/31460.jpg

slightly stressful to do but I thoroughly enjoyed it..... plus Ive got something to show for my efforts obviously :pancake:

I have to say i am inpressed, you say it charges a 12v batt, excuse my stupidity, but does it require an inverter???, we have had 8 solar panels fitted to the roof, (April ish time), and i am well impressed with the savings, nearly halved our usage, and got 240 squid back in the bank account in the first quarter with the feed in tarrif result :thumb:

I have to say i am inpressed, you say it charges a 12v batt, excuse my stupidity, but does it require an inverter???, we have had 8 solar panels fitted to the roof, (April ish time), and i am well impressed with the savings, nearly halved our usage, and got 240 squid back in the bank account in the first quarter with the feed in tarrif result :thumb:

An inverter turns DC into AC. Transformer rectifiers turn AC into DC, so if he's only using it to power DC items (batteries, USB plugs, bulbs) then there is no need for an inverter

An inverter turns DC into AC. Transformer rectifiers turn AC into DC, so if he's only using it to power DC items (batteries, USB plugs, bulbs) then there is no need for an inverter

told you it was a stupid question :roll: thanks craig, was not thinking straight, where does the power go from our solar panels.........ooohhhh yes thats right the main grid, hangs his head in shame and walks away :roll:

dont even think about it sid :roll:

Edited by ganges