Weather Around The World....

RobMk6

Ironically global warming is more likely to create a mass freeze of the UK than heat us all up. The whole nation was nearly f*cked when it snowed for 1 month, let alone a year or a decade of negative temperatures. We're all doomed. I'm off to Scandinavia, where people actually understand how to live with cold.

We're all f*cked... Doomsday will soon be upon us...

There... that should send those that are high while reading this mental.

dunno about you Phil but I suffer from heat aversion caused by the thyroid.....so the cold weather was great for me.

The neighbours looking on in disbelief as I was wiping sweat from my brow with my t-shirt on and my head under the cars bonnet, snow still falling......was quite amusing.

I'm not entirely convinced to be honest. I think it's pretty hard to tell what's happening to the planet by looking at a tiny snap shot in its history.

What I find interesting; is when these events are mentioned, it's "the worst since..." So if this country had dramatic snowfall in the 50s and at other points (which it did of course), then how can they convincingly say that the weather is getting more extreme?

I can't help but think that a lot of suggestions are being made without full understanding, just to scare us all of using our car, or flying, or whatever else they want to try and stop us doing.

That and I can't exactly see the point in us changing our ways when China and the USA are doing far more harm than we ever will. If we suddenly became carbon neutral tomorrow, it wouldn't make the slightest difference.

i thought the general worldy trend was that it was getting hotter, ice caps melting causing high sea levels which would wipeout low lying islands etc...

Overall, yes, average global temperature is increasing. Locally, the thinking is that raising temperatures will shut down the North Atlantic Deep Water circulation, a crucial part of the thermohaline circulation which conveys heat around the world. The Gulf Stream is part of this, and carries heat up from the caribbean to the North Atlantic, hence why the UK is relatively warm for the lattitude its at. Removing the Gulf Stream will lead to a decrease in temperature in the UK, in theory.

Nobody ever said climate science was easy!

I'm not entirely convinced to be honest. I think it's pretty hard to tell what's happening to the planet by looking at a tiny snap shot in its history.

What I find interesting; is when these events are mentioned, it's "the worst since..." So if this country had dramatic snowfall in the 50s and at other points (which it did of course), then how can they convincingly say that the weather is getting more extreme?

I can't help but think that a lot of suggestions are being made without full understanding, just to scare us all of using our car, or flying, or whatever else they want to try and stop us doing.

A tiny snapshot, perhaps - but the global climate changes on cycles that can be observed in records dating back 100s of thousands of years (using O isotope data), and can be extrapolated even further using other indicators.

You are also confusing weather and climate, which are two different things.

The basic argument is this, we have these climate records which are recording ocean temperature stretching back, for arguments sake, a million years. What we see in the last 250 years or so is an unprecedented rapid increase in temperature. We also see a rapid increase in atmospheric CO2 concentrations. Both of these strongly correlate to the onset of the industrial evolution. The key point to take from this is UNPRECEDENTED. They have accounted for solar forcing, albido effects etc and still come up short of a reason as to why the global temperature is increasing. The only factor that accounts for this is anthropogenic forcing.

Modelling what will happen in the future is, unfortunately, pure guess work - and not overly accurate guesswork at that. There are two reasons for this - variables (both unknown and unrestrained) and raw computing power. The calculations used to predict global climate are ridiculously complicated. The variables that need to be included are exactly that - variable, and some model predictions vary drastically dependent on said variables. The second major issue is computing power - yes computers are very fast and powerful, but they are still not powerful enough to run climate calculations at a high resolution. The outcome of this is that the spatial resolution on climate change data is very poor.

That and I can't exactly see the point in us changing our ways when China and the USA are doing far more harm than we ever will. If we suddenly became carbon neutral tomorrow, it wouldn't make the slightest difference.

That, unfortunately, I cant really argue with. China, India and the US have a lot to answer for. On a per GDP basis, the UK IS a major greenhouse gas contributor. But the other three outweigh us heavily by total output. Which does make us bending over backwards and crippling ourselves financially just a bit pointless.

Better media coverage of world events = threads like this.

Im not saying that the global temperature isnt going up slightly, but ive seen no proof that this is anything other than a natural cycle of global climate. As said above, if anything, we would see a colder climate in this country because the north atlantic current (which brings us milder weather) could potentially stop, but ffs the Thames used to regularly freeze over only 100 years ago. People just need to man the f*ck up.

Better media coverage of world events = threads like this.

Im not saying that the global temperature isnt going up slightly, but ive seen no proof that this is anything other than a natural cycle of global climate. As said above, if anything, we would see a colder climate in this country because the north atlantic current (which brings us milder weather) could potentially stop, but ffs the Thames used to regularly freeze over only 100 years ago. People just need to man the f*ck up.

How's this work for ya?

http://www.mongabay.com/images/2006/graphs/ipcc-temp.jpg

The Thames does freeze over occasionally, however there are a lot of times when extreme weather is caused by extenuating circumstances; volcanic eruptions are the obvious one. Krakatoa in 1883 lead to a decrease in avergae global temperature by over 1oC, which doesnt sound much, but was enough to cause famine due to failing crops, and very cold winters.

http://myspace.roflposters.com/images/rofl/myspace/1211149875727.jpg.%5Broflposters.com%5D.myspace.jpg

I hate discussions about global warming. Everybody is so clever it makes my brain hurt. It's always about who is going to post the hockey stick graph first and tell us all how fucked we really are. And it's all our own fault ! Now get out of those petrol guzzlers, start lashing yourself and REPENT !!!

Edited by DaweV6

dunno about you Phil but I suffer from heat aversion caused by the thyroid.....so the cold weather was great for me.

The neighbours looking on in disbelief as I was wiping sweat from my brow with my t-shirt on and my head under the cars bonnet, snow still falling......was quite amusing.

Not at the moment... Carbimazole worked for me and actually gave me an underactive thyroid... So I got fat and get cold!

Waiting for it to level out now! :nutter: