Cheating in online games

RobMk6

Is there a way of people cheating in online games, such as MW2 on Xbox Live?

Reason I'm asking is I'm fairly new to gaming online with a console and im getting pi$$ed off with something,

lets create a scenario within the game:

I'm by a window in the corner of a room, I see an enemy soldier come in through the door, I turn to face him and fire off about 10 aimed rounds, nothing happens, only to have him either run/walk up and stab me, or kill me with one round.

When I watch the little replay thing back my character does not turn, does not fire off any rounds and then dies, Now this happens far too often and its getting annoying.

Then when the match ends and I see people have about 25kills and 3 deaths I have to wonder how it works?

Your crap at it.

Practice.

Plus if you have internet lag, when you fire, the character isn't firing.

The people you playing against have been sadly playing every day all day. Try and find people as good as you to play against to make it fair.

If you cheat, you get banned, simples.

must be the lag then, as its basically just how you've said it, I'm firing, I can see my character firing, but in the replay (killcam) he's just stood there :(

and i know i'm not as good as some online but i play on the higher level in the campaign part of the game so cant be that crap :)

also how can i "find" people as good as me? is there a way to play only against people of a similar level?

Have a look on some gaming forums for people to add to xbox live who are the same rank as you.

i tried playing cod black ops on pc, and i cant even walk 10 paces and get killed, whilst my gf's brother son who is 8 years old walks comfortably getting 20 kill streaks :S

It's a lag problem, either down to your internet being slow or you're being matched against players from far away countries.

As for playing people of similar levels. I thought MW2 had a matchmaking systems where it would put you in rooms with people of a similar KDR?

Yep as said already, i'll be either your internet speed or the lag. What speed do you normally get, 1MB should be suitable just as people with faster lines and less lag will generally be 'better' than you because of this there could also be a problem with the game servers but all players would then experience the lag.

theres actually very little cheating online via consoles. Its ussually just an age old "im not rubbish, they must be cheating".

disagree

shitloads of cheaters on MW2 360.

and Im not shite either, I hit 10th prestige ages ago (earned not cheated) With good stats

Theres,

care package cheating

wall ghosting

Lvl70 10th prestige cheaters

out of game map cheating

to name just a few.

Ive seen shitloads of nobba's cheating in matches.

didnt they patch them in the first two months Shaw?

they patched a small percentage but missed the majority.

The fact that that particular game wasn't thoroughly beta tested before release to me seems blatantly evident.

The prestiging cheat was particularly hard to police without close inspection, I haven't looked lately but I can almost guarantee the top of the leaderboards are full of people who have played for 25 seconds and earned 6 trillion points still.

I took great pleasure in reporting any person who requested the 10th prestige from me (particularly after I received a 24hr temp ban from Live while they investigated claims that Id cheated to gain my prestige level and stats.....which they ultimately realised was unjustified and gave me 2 months free live as a compensation)

theres actually very little cheating online via consoles. Its ussually just an age old "im not rubbish, they must be cheating".

See, Paul, If it werent for having the 'killcam' replay there I would almost certainly agree with you as I have no idea of cheating on colsoles etc, but with the killcam there its completely evident that my character is a little drunk and unresponsive :roll:

oh and as for being matched against similar skill levels etc, I'm about level 20 and quite often up gainst people from level 60 onwards.

Reason I'm asking is I'm fairly new to gaming online with a console and im getting pi$$ed off with something,

There's your reason.

Sorry to tell you mate, but more than likely all the "cheat" talk, and "internet lag" etc etc are all crap. It's just because you're not very good at it. Nothing personal, but you can't seriously expect to just start online gaming and expect to be good?

Back in my undergraduate days I got hold of Battlefield 2 on the PC - and being a student I had plenty of spare time. First started playing the game online and I was terrible - nothing to do with lag, or wireless, or cheating, all to do with the fact I couldnt hit the broad side of a barn. Eventually, I got a bit better, I could shoot people and kill them before they killed me. Then I started getting even better and getting kill streaks. My internet hadn't miraculously got faster (if anything, it had gone downhill), Id just got better.

There is actually a lot of skill required to gaming online, and it is very difficult, and there is always somebody better than you. There are things you need to remember though - aim for the head as the body is generally much better armoured. Use better weapons - annoyingly better weapons usually become available to you as you progress through the game, which is irritating as you need better weapons when you start off so that you can compete against better players.

If you want proof, go round to your mates house - who is good at an online FPS, black ops for example, and play against him one on one. He'll wipe the floor with you. I know, because thats what happens when I go round to my mates house.

Keep at it, you'll improve with time. It just takes practice.