Audi Coupe 2.0e

sidrick

I have keep dipping into this thread and see lots of photos of parts, are they on the car or are you going to slap them on all at once?

Hardly anything has been fitted in ages. As I look around this room there's 6 very large boxes full of car parts.

*excuses* The summer up here has been terrible and my mechanic friend has moved from Seat main dealer to BMW main dealer, so can't take cars in at weekends any more :(

I really need to get things done in the next few weeks before the winter sets in. However, I start a new job on Monday and am going from weekly to monthly pay, so it might be a bit tight for a couple of months :(

All I'm really waiting on for my 5-stud conversion is front pads and a couple of decent tyres for the new wheels. I'm struggling to find a good, affordable tyre in 225/45 16 that will be of any use to me in the snow up here.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p89/adolftitler/SDC13266.jpg

More brakes arrived today. The pads are almost metal on metal so I needed to get some standard ones until I have the facilities to carry out the big brake upgrade :(

Tis a cnut when that happens! Got the same problem with my rubber drive couplings.

Aye, the missus has got a garage out the road that I might take advantage of over the winter.

I had actually advertised all of the brake conversion parts on Audi forums and considered running it until March (insurance renewal) and punting it.

I've fallen in love with it all over again, so sadly, it might be getting a fair amount of cash spent on it :(:)

• 3 weeks later...

No real news.

The car developed an intermittent misfire last week. I replaced the spark plugs yesterday (I had bought them more than 6 months ago and never got round to fitting them) and that seems to have cured the misfire and slight hesitation when pulling away. The old ones looked fine but they were the Bosch Super 6 things, and although they seem to do a good job, they seem to have a shorter life than 'normal plugs'. They were replaced with like-for-like Super 6 plugs anyway.

The car is booked into a local bodyshop for welding on Wednesday. There's a small hole developing on the o/s inner arch which wasn't even mentioned on the MOT, so I don't know if it was missed or if it's not in a critical area. It wasn't there last year either.

I'm going to ask them for a ball park quote for a respray. They seem quite cheap and it'll be in the same colour and exclude the roof and engine bay, so if it's c.£600 I'll likely go for it, if it's more than £800 then I'll leave it and just get a couple of areas done.

I'm selling the 5-stud big brake conversion parts (if you know any VAG guys wanting a good deal on a 312mm caliper/carrier conversion then let me know!). The front set-up was really a bit of a bodge unless you get a part machined, and the brakes are not a weak point on this car at all, so I figure my money can be better spent elsewhere, such as:

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p89/adolftitler/SDC13273.jpg

I bought an additional pair of front struts to minimise the time my car is off the road. I can paint these and build them up with new shocks, springs and new O.E. everything else and have them ready to just whack on!

I'm waiting to hear back from Eurocarparts regarding Bilstein B6 front dampers. If they're priced correctly and my discount code is valid then I'll get them for an unbelievable price. Their website is shocking though, and it takes an age to hear back from e-mail enquiries so I might just phone them on Monday and get them ordered.

• 2 weeks later...

I went out to change the brakes today since the weather is alright here.

Upon closer inspection the pads still have 2-3mm of meat left on them and the discs are in good condition. Being a tight Scotsman and wanting to get my money's worth out of the current discs/pads I put the wheel back on and will revisit the situation in the new year. The current green stuff pads have really impressed me, both in performance and longevity.

I've had a slight leak from the gearbox for some time, but changing the leaking selector shaft seal means removing the exhaust, and removing the exhaust will likely mean replacing the exhaust since it's largely held together by rust! Anyway, the gear change is a bit crashy and I had gear oil going about from a previous car so took this opportunity to top up the gear oil until I can afford a new exhaust system and replace the gearbox seal. It swallowed the whole 1l bottle without overflowing! I think the capacity is only 1.2l or close to that, so it was definitely needed!

I also replaced the distributer cap and rotor arm with genuine items. Piece of Pee, no idea what I was concerned about before the job. The rotor arm was well worn, so hopefully this will sort my intermittent occasional miss-fire :-\ It certainly seems good so far.

No pics today since my camera's batteries were flat :( Any pics available on request tomorrow though, lol.

Credit card limit gets doubled at the start of next month, so we should see some big changes, and maybe some bits powder coated by Sleeman :)

Edited by sidrick