1600 Zetec SE Race Engine.

Ahmotorsport

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, "upon thought" still a totaly pointless thread.

Not often I follow engine build threads, especialy on here, I did follow this one as I know lads who've raced with the Zetec 1600's and what power they've got on standard internals.

I wanted to see what this was going to make, so I went out my way to look in this thread many times.

If you'd said at the start, you wern't going to reveal power figures, no one would have been the slightest bit interested in it's build.

I'll not comment again, as I think I've made my point, at the pointlesness of this thread now.

No, "upon thought" still a totaly pointless thread.

Not often I follow engine build threads, especialy on here, I did follow this one as I know lads who've raced with the Zetec 1600's and what power they've got on standard internals.

I wanted to see what this was going to make, so I went out my way to look in this thread many times.

If you'd said at the start, you wern't going to reveal power figures, no one would have been the slightest bit interested in it's build.

I'll not comment again, as I think I've made my point, at the pointlesness of this thread now.

I didn't know i wasn't allowed to post it, that's why i put it up here!

You never know, maybe he'll start telling people soon.

Upon thought, i still don't think it's a pointless thread. There's a lot of people on here into tuning, this just shows how much time and effort goes into them.

To be honest - it's totally pointless to me now.

I know how (well, sort of :rolleyes: ) to build a race engine, I wanted to get some inspiration and see how pros do it - so I can improve our racy 1700.

Without you being able to tell me which modifications contribute to what result - what's the point in this ? I can see that it isn't your fault, but please, do tell me what exactly you mean by "I can see where he's coming from" ?

Because I bloody can't.

Upon thought, i still don't think it's a pointless thread. There's a lot of people on here into tuning, this just shows how much time and effort goes into them.

To be honest - it's totally pointless to me now.

I know how (well, sort of :rolleyes: ) to build a race engine, I wanted to get some inspiration and see how pros do it - so I can improve our racy 1700.

Without you being able to tell me which modifications contribute to what result - what's the point in this ? I can see that it isn't your fault, but please, do tell me what exactly you mean by "I can see where he's coming from" ?

Because I bloody can't.

Because the point of this thread is not to show the competition what we do to achieve said power/torque. It's to show people how much effort goes in. Why would we want to give our development information away for free? That's just stupid? We've worked hard, spent a lot of time and money finding out what works and doesn't, i'm not going to tell you how we did that.

Because it would cause noting but upset to the other competitors and he'd be dealing with a lot of aggravation.

Because it would cause noting but upset to the other competitors and he'd be dealing with a lot of aggravation.

Let's be honest, we're not reinventing the wheel here, just putting an engine together. :rolleyes:

And to know what parts and modifications you used won't help anybody to achieve anything - I know somebody who took professionally built 200 BHP Pinto that done 20 rallies to bits, copied it to the last bolt and what happened ? It hasn't lasted 3 events.

I'm not after your know-how, I just wanted to see what you do differently than let's say Pumaspeed or Burton which is responsible for our engine.

BTW I've never seen anybody to better Fords R2 class 1600 Zetec SE for performance and reliability. So if I would want to steal something - I know where to go, don't worry.

Let's be honest, we're not reinventing the wheel here, just putting an engine together. :rolleyes:

And to know what parts and modifications you used won't help anybody to achieve anything - I know somebody who took professionally built 200 BHP Pinto that done 20 rallies to bits, copied it to the last bolt and what happened ? It hasn't lasted 3 events.

I'm not after your know-how, I just wanted to see what you do differently than let's say Pumaspeed or Burton which is responsible for our engine.

BTW I've never seen anybody to better Fords R2 class 1600 Zetec SE for performance and reliability. So if I would want to steal something - I know where to go, don't worry.

If it's not going to help you, why do you want to know?

I don't know if we do anything differently to them, we just look at it and go "i reckon that'll work" so we try it and 9/10 it proves better than the competition, i know that doesn't sound modest, but it's true.

Well you said you know how to build a race engine, so if i did tell you what bits we used and what we did here and there, you could make the same engine.

For what its worth I still enjoyed watching it all come together but maybe its cause I havent seen a topic like this before, maybe people have seen many engines being built over the years and those who have actually done it might not be as interested in that side of things.

My favourite pics in topics are when engines are being built fitted etc

Edited by Naylor2006

For what its worth I still enjoyed watching it all come together but maybe its cause I havent seen a topic like this before.

My favourite pics in topics are when engines are being built fitted etc

Glad it's not just me that feels this way.

The reason for it is that you don't build them, so you don't need to know all the details.

Due to how this thread was going i was going to do one for the 2L Duratec coming up, i honestly can't be bothered to anymore.

Edited by Ahmotorsport

can you not even give us a ball park power figure ??

So its a race prepped 1.6 on ITB's, now I dont know anything about this sort of thing and Im gonna guess 200bhp ish

Eeyeeyeeyeyey hiiigheeerrr loooooweeeer eeeyeye higher?

http://www.worldtvpc.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/bruce-forsyth.jpg

Edited by Naylor2006

can you not even give us a ball park power figure ??

So its a race prepped 1.6 one ITB's, now I dont know anything about this sort of thing and Im gonna guess 200bhp ish

You're in the right area, that's all i can say. He's still got to do a bit more as the fuel pump ran out of puff at 7500RPM.

Who cares about peak figures? A well designed engine is reflected by the torque curve and power band, not by peaky numbers.

Put up the dyno print out and erase the numbers from it (not that the numbers on an inertia rolling road are worth much anyway). That won't tell anyone anything about 'how' you did it, or how powerful it is, but it'd display if the engine builder knows anything beyond attacking the ports with a burr and screwing the thing together.

Who cares about peak figures? A well designed engine is reflected by the torque curve and power band, not by peaky numbers.

Put up the dyno print out and erase the numbers from it (not that the numbers on an inertia rolling road are worth much anyway). That won't tell anyone anything about 'how' you did it, or how powerful it is, but it'd display if the engine builder knows anything beyond attacking the ports with a burr and screwing the thing together.

I don't need to show you anything Stu. Just look at the videos of the Focus, that will show you how torquey we can get them.