2.2 Turbo RS2000 16V Engine Build

blacksofstichill

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive waited a while to post, maybe I was trying to be profound but constantly stalled with nothing but nonsense.

Anyway, it is people like you who this country is losing, a skilled workman putting all his skills and experience into doing something right and re-engineering and rebuilding an engine which combines 2 different engines that were never turbo'd into one.........and then turbo'ing it. :thumb:

I am jealous of you the workshop and the engine.

Cant wait to see how this fits into the engine bay and to be fair any further updates.

I must admit, this thread is somewhat motivating me to go back to my engine build thread and finish the updates! I've been extremely delinquent!

Hell yeah! Im waiting for update too :rolleyes:

I am too.

Wow, thanks, I'm genuinely overwhelmed by what you've said and really glad that you've enjoyed the thread, I loved building this engine and have really put my heart into it rather than just see it as a Job to do. :cheers:

Over the years there have been a few people converted the original RS 2.0 into a turbo and similarly a few people have converted galaxy 2.3s into turbos, all of them ive heard of or seen are either low blow turbos with standard compression, or have skimmed pistons, decompression plates or custom pistons to lower the compression. When David decided he wanted to turbo his RS2000 the aim was to try and do it using as many standard components as possible and to try and do it differently from what had been done before so this is why we built it as a 2.2 to use the standard components in a way that lowered the compression without weakening pistons or buying any custom internal components for the job. We found loads of people had talked about building 2.2s like this for years and turbocharging them but we never found anyone who had actually built one and had it up and running......so i convinced him it would be a good idea and he was trusting enough to put his faith in me to do the job which I really appreciated. He basically sent me the engines and left me to get on with it as I wanted! :thumb:

The engine is now in Aberdeen and his old engine should be removed now ready for this one to be fitted, as soon as I have some more pics and updates from him I'll post them up on here, cheers!

• 1 month later...

Another update for you all! The engine was fitted in the car with the standard fuel rail, running on the standard ecu with the boost screwed right down so it could be run-in for 500 miles before it was set up and running on the emerald management. It's booked in for the emerald to be fitted and mapped this weeked so we're looking forward to that!

Just as a matter of interest, he decided to have it rolling roaded at Wallace Performace to see how much power it made with this setup. We knew it wouldn't be massive figures, it was just out of curiosity.

So, as it stands it is a 2.2 (2169cc) Low Compression (8.72:1) Engine and the boost was set at a maximum of only 0.5 psi (practically nothing!) to avoid any issues with the MAP sensor and the standard ecu.

Bearing in mind a standard compression RS2000 2.0 engine with no turbo and in good health should make 150bhp and this engine is lower compression running almost no boost at all we were not expecting groundbreaking results.

Remember this was only with 0.5psi (0.034 bar) of boost, not 0.5 bar (7.25 psi) so not a lot of boost at all. Drum roll please.......it made 158.6 bhp

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t364/newman270/9a4ab9b9-0644-4c43-a86f-067b7110faa4_zps02135f91.jpg

i didn't actually expect it to make even as much as 150bhp with as little boost as that so we're pretty chuffed with that, given the fact it's low compression and has some scope to run some boost we're confident we'll crack 200bhp once it's set up properly and running on emerald.

Cheers! :cheers:

Another great thread.Top work.I enjoy reading rebuilding and modding threads that are really explaining and full of photos.Nice one.Nice results on the dyno too.Congrats

Stu,heading to read your thread,your next!lol.Can't stop reading rebuilding topics,I must have some kind of disease!LOL

Also I must say that the colour of the block,is completely different under different lighting indoors and outdoors.Love the colour of it on the outdoors photos.

Thanks, a lot of people think I'm mad for being happy at a 8.6bhp gain over the standard engine, but when you consider that's with practically no boost and on a low compression engine which has scope to run a lot more boost we were very happy with the result. If the fuel pump can keep up we reckon 230 to 240bhp might even be on the cards. :thumb:

• 2 weeks later...