Let the Pee taking commence

stevmo3691

Good work and nice pics!

thanks

Drives alot better now. Short list left to do:

-decat as flexis are both blowing (needs to be done before april)

- front control arms as o/side is flopping like a fish

- ARB bushes as very worn (can move ARB inside the bush...)

- front tyres as they are Suntek's which I believe covers as much as I need to say

- Brembo discs and pads (Apec pads which produce a $hitting lot of dust)

- rear wheel arch has little rust coming through

- reverse light not working on n/side and both n/side rear parking sensors are dead (linked?)

oh and I have to completely re-colour all my seats as previous owner cleaned them with fairy liquid which has f*cked them - good thing I'm a leather repair technician so i'm just going to get another steering wheel and try and get a saloon leather interior so I can use drivers seat then sell the interior to my friends parents for their R reg 520i

and at some stage refurb the alloys. keeping them silver as I think best colour to suit the colour of the car and some paint correction work at some stage. Just want to keep this nice - I have the ST for project work which I've not actually done much on as not had the free time or funds as keep spending on this - need some metal for doing welding on the back end

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why is it good that you're a leather repair technician when you just intend to buy a new interior?

If you read properly I said I intend too buy a saloon interior so once I have used the drivers seat in my car while I restore mine I can sell it to my friends parents for their 520. I have comfort seats - I'm not going to remove them.

There was one of those BMW things at my breakers:

they are huge! preferred the seats in black:

thats an E34 - predecessor to mine. I would have liked black interior but I quite like the grey now, just a bit too much of it so the seats will be getting black centres when I restore them.

• 1 month later...

Sorted the radio out in here since the standard radio wasnt playing sound through right front, cd changer stopped working and in dash cd player was tempermental so I purchased fascia and wiring adaptors off ebay and got the HU from my mk3 fitted:

http://i6.tagstat.com/image09/8/520f/00l6001O58f.jpg

Sony MEX BT3800U with bluetooth (mic in fascia in bottom right), iPod control, USB, aux in etc and allows for steering wheel controls

I have also installed the original MID in the glovebox and extended the wiring although this isnt currently working so will have another look at that when I have the time.

Also fitted and wired up the sub and amp from the mk3 as well neatly installed - sub would have been on the back of the rear seats like in mk3 but not enough height so came up with a different solution:

http://i2.tagstat.com/image07/8/520f/00l4001O58f.jpg

and fitted the amp under the boot floor:

http://i3.tagstat.com/image07/8/520f/00l3001O58f.jpg

and got this to fit which is going on on sat weather depending

http://i3.tagstat.com/image09/8/520f/00l5001O58f.jpg

Putting the amp there is one way to make sure a sofa definitely wont go in.

That's a sub, the amp is underneath.

It's not really a good idea to install an amp upside down because of heat build up, so keep an eye on it. A couple of 12v fans connected to the amp's remote turn on & earth connectors would sort it, if there is a problem. :thumb:

They give you that remote bass controller so you can fit it somewhere convenient by the driver's seat, not so you can fit it somewhere remote, lol!

Putting the amp there is one way to make sure a sofa definitely wont go in.

I thought the same, I was under the impression this car was bought for purpose.

Wont this restrict the seats folding down to accommodate larger items?

Edited by PeeWee

Well I didnt plan to fit that HU in this car as I wanted to keep it OE looking but with a non functioning radio and small out lay for adaptors its what I am doing for time being. As for the sub, its held down with 4 screws and the wires have push connections.

Yes I know the amp remote is designed to be fitted in the front like it is in my ST however I dont tend to actually use it that much if at all and I don't want the remote up front.

At present I am only doing sofa repairs on site and if they need to be taken away then my boss will arrange to take away using his van.

At present I am only doing sofa repairs on site and if they need to be taken away then my boss will arrange to take away using his van.

confused.com I thought the purpose of this car was because you had started your own restoration business? You now state "my boss will arrange to take away using his van"

soooooooooooooooooo

1. You haven't really started a business

2. You didn't really need a load lugger

Anyway back to topic.......................not a fan of the headunit but fully agree something is better working even if its not oem.