Wide arch 5 door project

lee grout

didn't you use a water trap/filter on the compressor or gun?

Not on the small compressor I have at home. My own fault I know. Its not ALL over though so found it a bit random! I did buy one since but after putting it on the gun there seems to be real little air flow coming through the gun no matter how I adjust it! Could do with googleing it really so try find out what's what!? Lol

how big is your compressor as I know a 50 litre one can easily run a filter along with a 3 stage 3M filter no problem! the small water traps to attach to the gun is a good thing I did run them on my smart repair guns with a 100 litre tank, did you use plumbers tape on the threads as sometimes air leaks can happen a lot around them! and max pressure you really need is 2 bar for painting.

is there not a spray booth you can hire out round your way? might make it easier to accomplish your work??

• 2 months later...

Well it has been a while! Winter and crappy weather has meant nothings been done for a while. Small step forward though which is all good. Not massively necessary but doing a few small things gets me back into the swing and gives me some much needed motivation.

While it was down I thought I may as well clean up and give a lick of silver paint to the fuel tank.

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx80/the-jonsonator/P1040900_zpsb2ce83ae.jpg

While the car was jacked up I thought Id tackle the minor rust on the n/s chassis rail. I took a wire brush attachment on the grinder to it :ninja: Nothing that bad at all, still pretty solid with no holes. After that I primed the areas I'd buzzed down to metal and then waxoyled the legs, the wheel well and everything in and around it. Boring pics follow! :kill:

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx80/the-jonsonator/P1040898_zps4f01e9de.jpg

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx80/the-jonsonator/P1040897_zps9547f36a.jpg

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx80/the-jonsonator/P1040899_zpsd37cd845.jpg

Also I picked up my new paint. Decided to stay the same colour but this time I got 2k paint. Covers better, lasts better, goes off quicker and doesnt require additional laquering.

On saturday I should get the tank back up and after a couple cans of petrol SHOULD fire up for the 1st time in...........a fooking long time! After that it'll be rubbing back the paintwork ready for the re-paint. Hopefully for the last time :blush: Ford fair will creep up before long so better pull my finger out!...........(said that last year! :blink: )

thats what im talkin about!

waxoiling is such a messy business isnt it

TBH its not half as bad as I thought it would be. A bit of splatter on my hand and couple drips on my face lol

Glad to see some more progress on this, dare i suggest this might be on the stand at ford fair would be great if it was something a bit different.

Well FF is the plan so hopefully the progress comes thick and fast lol

So today I did what I aimed to do. The fuel tank is back up for the 1st time in months. I re-taped the fuel pump plug wires. (previously been cut away to find out where the earth wire went) Also re-fitted the rear exhaust section and a couple spots of paste here and there where I had couple small leaks. Ill get some fuel during the week and should see it fire up. Then I can, at my leisure start rubbing down the paintwork again ready for the re-respray! :rolleyes: Shouldnt seem so bad as I can tackle a panel a night or something. Will make it feel like Im getting somewhere a bit quicker.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quickie and sorry for no pics! Put the car in the garage before getting the camera :nutter: This savvy I dedicated to rubbing down the last of the car with 600 wet n dry. I had done some after work during the week so thought I'd get it done as now its actually ready for paint again.

Did have a problem with one front wing though. Previously had sprayed a random colour, just so i could see ripples etc. I sanded out a dip but every time I put on primer it reacted. Long story short The colour i previously used hadnt gone off so could still scrape it with my nail! It also kept reacting against the primer!! In the end i had to sand down the whole top section of wing (cossie wide section) . Wish i done it from the start as kept trying small areas rather than the whole lot!

Anyway now its all done, roll on saturday and dry weather to spray it up. Im getting fed up with it now lol so whatever it comes out like....thats what its gonna be!

good news mate,its gutting when your see yourself so far away,but you'll be chuffed to bits when its sprayed.

It will just be the body/boot but thats the biggest part! Will be a big weight off the shoulders. Then i can fit /clean the interior, fit new wheels, fit all stereo etc. then i can just finish and add the remaining panels 1 at a time.