My £500 workhorse NSFW

stevmo3691

Why not get a van and park it round the corner???

This is the best solution....

it's not, because it will quite probably inconvenience somebody else.

hmmm, I remember an old pick up owner that thought he'd park outside my house every night....................new tyres every week get expensive!

I take it he wasn't on the public road and blocking your drive?

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Merc maintenance easy when family friend owns a mercedes commercial vehicles garage and is able to do the cars too.

Genuine Merc parts at cheap prices or can even get merc s/history

I'm not buying anything without history and doing a thorough inspection.

I will finish the ST - just want to get in a situation with 1 car to use and ST as a project - nothing wrong with that is there?

I wouldnt be able to afford the more modern vans that are worth having so for the money mercs better bet.

I wont be doing sofas and the like till I have a unit set up. Car interiors will fit in a E Class estate easily and as my car tends to be main family car, van wouldnt really work too well for that (Dads Galant isnt the biggest of cars)

I don't really understand the family car bit, you your mum & your dad have cars, whats your idea for a "family car"?

No there is nothing wrong with having what you said except the reasons simply don't add up?

What a turn up having a family friend owning a merc garage brilliant!!!

I don't really understand the family car bit, you your mum & your dad have cars, whats your idea for a "family car"?

No there is nothing wrong with having what you said except the reasons simply don't add up?

dont put him off buying a merc............... let the merc forums have him, I personally dont even find the cack he comes up with funny anymore. :rolleyes:

dont put him off buying a merc............... let the merc forums have him, I personally dont even find the cack he comes up with funny anymore. :rolleyes:

you are a harsh man shaw haha

Owning a Merc isn't gonna stop these topics.

i have to agree wit the comments the merc they rust parts are expensive and not exactly great on fuel if you want a vehicle to use for personal and business i would suggest some form of mpv for example a citreon berlingo if someone turned up at mine in a rusty estate full full tools etc or to pick up something from me and was getting paid for doing so they would be told to do one

my mum cant get in MPV's - too high up - so would be pointless if I needed to take her somewhere.

I'm not buying a french car - had bad experiences so not repeating (worse than i've had with any of my fords)

what do you class as throwing money at it?

I have meerly spent my time/money fixing it with a couple of cheap upgrades along the way.

excluding service items and the recaro interior as thats going in the ST i've spent very little - £150 on ST TDCI interior, £90 on a radio that i'm keeping anyway and £30 on gel overlays. and a few quid on some stickers

I fitted brembos cos it needed new front discs and pads and friend has them on his so I know they work well

De-cat effectively cost £10 as pipe was £60 but sold original for £50

panel filter - it needed new air filter

new number plates as rear was broken

led bulbs etc - I had them in garage

rear lights - one rear lamp was broken and I got that pair of facelifts for less than I was gonna be able to get a single replacement

EGR bypass - boost leak from original parts and bypass cured that and boosted performance

only other things I have done have been replacement of worn/broken consumable parts on an old car

what do you class as throwing money at it?

Spending a high amount of money on things not needed for a £500 car.

I have meerly spent my time/money fixing it with a couple of cheap upgrades along the way.

excluding service items and the recaro interior as thats going in the ST i've spent very little - £150 on ST TDCI interior, £90 on a radio that i'm keeping anyway and £30 on gel overlays. and a few quid on some stickers

Cheap?

£150 + £90 + £30 and lets say a tenner on stickers.

That's £280 you have spent on parts that YOU DON'T NEED.

That's also 56% on top of your cars current price that you could have kept.

I fitted brembos cos it needed new front discs and pads and friend has them on his so I know they work well

What's wrong with standard parts? They are cheaper.

De-cat effectively cost £10 as pipe was £60 but sold original for £50

Why did you need to do this?

panel filter - it needed new air filter

Standard filter not cheaper?

only other things I have done have been replacement of worn/broken consumable parts on an old car

And replaced them with bits that were effectively upgrades. If it wasn't a £500 workhorse you can just tell us you know.

Tell us you like the MK3 and you want to make it a better place to be. Rather than changing your mind!

P.S Sidrick, I took the bait. I apologise.

It was supposed to be a works vehicle to help start a new business venture wasnt it?

Which is why its strange to see stickers, decat etc, most works vehicles are for A-B, basic servicing etc.

Its obvious though isnt it, he got another car and got carried away with it, I accept it was bought firstly for honest working reasons because why the hell else would you buy this car, you wouldnt buy it to do up now would you.......which is what started to happen but as usual didnt finish.

Edited by Naylor2006