Wide arch 5 door project

lee grout

Looks lovely, its not until you see a bit of paint on their you can really get to grips with how it looks and my goodness its gonna look nice, love the colour.

Make sure you dont put the Lexus lights in the rear, back to standards or half tints of something.

Bang Tidy, oooosh

I have a set of standards ready and waiting :thumb:

Looking good there mate. Love that colour reminds me of ford Olympic blue.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s133/magnus-pike/FordFair2011015.jpg

Sleemans right just use a plastic primer, then apply a couple of coats of high build. Flat it and prime again, with plastics you have to be carefull not to overload them with products, keep them down to as minimum as you can. Only thing with these elastic additives is that the primer will stay very more like a gel which makes its harder to flat. Just use as less products as you can mate that should eliminate it cracking.

Sleemans right just use a plastic primer, then apply a couple of coats of high build. Flat it and prime again, with plastics you have to be carefull not to overload them with products, keep them down to as minimum as you can. Only thing with these elastic additives is that the primer will stay very more like a gel which makes its harder to flat. Just use as less products as you can mate that should eliminate it cracking.

Ok cheers. I've read VERY mixed reviews on flexible additives. I'll keep layers down to a minimum then and be more careful with the bumper! Where it has the brace in behind (which bolts to the car) one side on mine was very loose and so was partly reason it flexed so much in the 1st place!

Nice work, that's a lovely colour too.

Cheers.......Just need one of your engines in it now lol

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx80/the-jonsonator/DSC03555_zps185008d0.jpg

Oh yes :D

I guess so far people likey likey the colour 8)

I know at the end of the day its my decision but Do you all like the colour I sprayed the wing or prefer the pearl in the link?????

Yes mate that colour would suit it, specially where you've trialed it.

The perl your looking at looks very similar to ford imperial and performance blue met/perl, one thing to bear in mind is there low hiding colours and would probably need to have a black basecoat applied first.

I know at the end of the day its my decision but Do you all like the colour I sprayed the wing or prefer the pearl in the link?????

The perl your looking at looks very similar to ford imperial and performance blue met/perl, one thing to bear in mind is there low hiding colours and would probably need to have a black basecoat applied first.

Cheers andy. Ive been asking them loads of questions about that paint. !st I was up for a 3 stage, then not, then saw this colour and fancied it lol I think I may end up going for the monza blue. I like it, others seem to like it plus its easier to spray that than the pearl. Considering timeframe etc i think this will be easiest. That blue covered very well, would you bother with a ground coat so its all even colour before spraying the blue or just go for it as it seems to cover well? On the tin it said Acrylic (also stated doesnt need laquer) Can this be wet sanded and buffed up? Im only used to seeing 2k ( needs hardeners and laquering, able to rub and buff) or cellulose( dont know much about this! longer drying times, not as hard wearing) ! Can you elaborate what this paint actually is? always like to learn something new. :cheers:

Cheers andy. Ive been asking them loads of questions about that paint. !st I was up for a 3 stage, then not, then saw this colour and fancied it lol I think I may end up going for the monza blue. I like it, others seem to like it plus its easier to spray that than the pearl. Considering timeframe etc i think this will be easiest. That blue covered very well, would you bother with a ground coat so its all even colour before spraying the blue or just go for it as it seems to cover well? On the tin it said Acrylic (also stated doesnt need laquer) Can this be wet sanded and buffed up? Im only used to seeing 2k ( needs hardeners and laquering, able to rub and buff) or cellulose( dont know much about this! longer drying times, not as hard wearing) ! Can you elaborate what this paint actually is? always like to learn something new. :cheers:

Not a problem mate, your right there 3stage perls can be a pain in the backside if the undercoat isn't right it can make it look the wrong shade, don't apply enough and it can look see through hence it being a low hiding colour there very transparent.

The paint you've tried is a 2k acrylic, pretty much the same as 2k acrylic laquers in either ms or hs ( medium solids, high solids). What you could do so it has an even under of primer is apply something like a wet on wet primer in white. Basically wet on wet is once you applied it, leave for 15-20 mins nib any imperfections out of it, no need to flat all of it just the imperfections ie from dirt or dust. Then apply your top coat straight over it hence it being wet on wet.

These 2k acrylic solid colours, are alot easier to apply and don't require laquer. But just double check the mixing ratio it should be around 2:1 with ten percent thinner, apply a very light coat first all over, then it should require two more coats but as your going to be flatting and polishing it you could get away with three, hardner wise if its air dry I'd try and use a normal hardner unless its fairly warm or in an oven then use a slow hardner as it will leave the paint open longer and let it flow out easier, then needs to be left for a week to fully cure.

Your right in thinking its alot easier, 2k acrylic can be flatted and polished in exactly the same way you would polish a clear laquer, it will still maintain the same gloss level as laquer once flatted and polished, its safe to use any type of wax on it, just leave it for 10-12 weeks before applying any type of detailing sealent over it as it will stop the paint breathing and curing.

Lee,that blue will look the mutts nuts with the black refurbed wheels m8.It would have also looked epic if you had have left them gold.

Not olympic blue :mellow: Its ford monza/electric blue........strangely its also the same colour as a box of rice crispies!

Edited by lee grout